Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test played a Cannonball Alto Sax (A5-BS) and on the top of the body of the sax there are two screws that you are supposed to tighten up in order for the neck to stay still. For some reason, I loosened the LEFT screw so much that it fell from the instrument completely and I didn’t know how to put it back on. Does anyone know how I’m supposed to deal with it if it happens again when I purchase the horn in the future?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Do you use a lyre regularly? Because if you don't you could just leave it fully tightened all the time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,781 Posts
that screw is only used to hod a lyre in place, as Christian1 implies, in other words it has no function for anyone who is not marching with a saxophone.

It is NOT used to tighten the neck.

Years ago my teacher used to pull the legs of the beginners telling them it was used to tune the saxophone.

Some gullible saxophone fetishists are even buying “ special” lyre screws to improve their saxophone sound....NOT!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I never use a lyre, since I only play alto saxophone in my school’s jazz band.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that screw is only used to hod a lyre in place, as Christian1 implies, in other words it has no function for anyone who is not marching with a saxophone.

It is NOT used to tighten the neck.

Years ago my teacher used to pull the legs of the beginners telling them it was used to tune the saxophone.

Some gullible saxophone fetishists are even buying “ special” lyre screws to improve their saxophone sound....NOT!
So I could just leave that screw off my saxophone then without having to worry? I’m relatively new to the whole lyre thing.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
There’s a delicate acoustic balance between the resonance stone, neck screw, and lyre screw. They spend hours dialing that in at the Salt Lake facility...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,781 Posts
So I could just leave that screw off my saxophone then without having to worry? I relatively new to the whole lyre thing.
yes, don’t bother about it.

Go and sin no more... :twisted:

There’s a delicate acoustic balance between the resonance stone, neck screw, and lyre screw. They spend hours dialing that in at the Salt Lake facility...
OP might even be tempted to take you seriously!

But it takes stones...:mrgreen:

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Insert the screw into the hole and turn right (clockwise). Remember: righty tighty, lefty loosie. There will be a test on "Putting screws back on saxophones" next week.
Tried that when I test played it. Screw refused to go inside the hole at all.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Neck screw threads & receivers can become so encrusted with tarnish, grease, dust, skin cells, etc. that screw action becomes balky. A few vigorous swipes with a moistened paper towel, Q-tip, pipe cleaner or the like can fix that in a jiffy. No need for chemicals or abrasives. (A minuscule dab of liquid hand soap or dish detergent might not hurt, but it's probably not necessary.) You'll be amazed at the improvement, & won't have to do this again for years.

·
Registered
469 Posts
oscarrios570 ignore the smart *** answers. Having no need for a lyre I remove the screw and save it in case I sell the horn. Keep asking your questions as most of the people here are helpful. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Tried that when I test played it. Screw refused to go inside the hole at all.
Sometimes there can be a flaw in the threads of the screw at the end that makes it difficult to start. A store that sells Cannonball saxophones should have replacement screws in their repair shop or be able to order one for you. When this happens in my shop I just chase the threads of the screw with the appropriate die and it is good to go again.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
I almost took you seriously...

Thanks! =)
No problem. Didn’t realize how new of a member you are (Welcome! 👋). When Cannonball first came out with the resonance stone there were a lot of jokes made surrounding the powers of the stone. Just making a play on that.
They’ve proven to be a great company that sells quality instruments. I think their altos are particularly nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts