Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we had a gig set for Saturday evening playing at a local airport for a flying of a vintage airplane out of San Jose. They had about a 150 mi flight to the airport. We were set to play at an airport camp ground. I made the contact with the pilots and had time an location set. (I also happened to misplace-loose my cell phone Thursday) We got the location and it was empty. weather was cold and stormy. I didn't know how to retrieve mesages form my phone without the phone, so I phoned AT&T and found out. There was a message from 8 am that morning cancelling because of bad weather for flying. So there we dressed for the prom with no date. 4:30 sat afternoon. Do we drove into Colombia and stopped at one of the local bars. This is a historic western town - state park. Bar closes at 9pm. Kind of like "Hey, you want a band for tonight? telling the bartender the story of the cancelled gig. "Sure" he says, so we set up and played a couple of sets. Set up a tip jar and made gas money, well sort of but had a lot of fun. We also got a real gig there for the 4th of July.

http://www.columbiacalifornia.com/scsaloon.html

now I need a new phone

smf

:cry:

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Hey, way to turn lemons into lemonade! Congrats on the gig. :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Kinda stupid you didn't check messages......I mean, what if you had to drive a distance? Or pay the outrageous bridge toll to go across the San Mateo bridge or one of the other bridges. You didn't check messages for hours? Did you have them sign a contract and have some sort of deposit incase they canceled?

You always have to have a clear, accessable line of communication. I mean, forgetting your phone? In this age? On a gig? What happens if say you got a flat? Or there was an accident?

Spin it how you want, but if I was in the band I'd be rather pissed that you didn't bother to check messages at all, and that any of the money from the gig that I was planning on getting is now not happening. Rather unprofessional I think.....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda stupid you didn't check messages......I mean, what if you had to drive a distance? Or pay the outrageous bridge toll to go across the San Mateo bridge or one of the other bridges. You didn't check messages for hours? Did you have them sign a contract and have some sort of deposit incase they canceled?

You always have to have a clear, accessable line of communication. I mean, forgetting your phone? In this age? On a gig? What happens if say you got a flat? Or there was an accident?

Spin it how you want, but if I was in the band I'd be rather pissed that you didn't bother to check messages at all, and that any of the money from the gig that I was planning on getting is now not happening. Rather unprofessional I think.....
Yea, I was pissed at my self too. Fortunately the drive was 15 minutes. I bought dinner for the band while we were setting up, and donated my take of the pot to the one person who had to drive farther. Sometimes out contracts are verbal, as was this one. Still can't find phone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh well, things happen. Live and learn.. At least you got a gig out of it! Congrats!

·
Registered
606 Posts

Geez...go easy on the guy, it wasn't the end of the world. BTW, some of us never carry the things because we don't want to be associated with the zombie like behavior that we see everywhere these days. Remember, cellphones didn't exist thirty years ago, but things worked just fine without them.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Remember, cellphones didn't exist thirty years ago, but things worked just fine without them.
I almost don't believe this ever happened.

I mean, like, was there ever smoking in restaraunts? No way.

:bluewink: [rolleyes] :mrgreen:

Cell phones were actually invented in the 40's, but not largely adopted until the 80's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts