Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Henri Selmer Paris Mark VII Tenor 316xxx
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Usually when I have a horn that I want overhauled or even just worked on a bit for some tweaks, I save it for my next flight or drive down to the States and take it to one of the repair techs I am comfortable with down there.
With COVID and all the hassles I would have going both directions, I need to find somebody north of the border.
Looking for recommendations for saxophone professional repair people in Canada that really know what they're doing.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hi there. Usually when I have a horn that I want overhauled or even just worked on a bit for some tweaks, I save it for my next flight or drive down to the States and take it to one of the repair techs I am comfortable with down there.
With COVID and all the hassles I would have going both directions, I need to find somebody north of the border.
Looking for recommendations for saxophone professional repair people in Canada that really know what they're doing.
Thanks!
Where are you? Do you want someone local or are you happy to ship?

·
Registered
1996 Selmer SA80 2 tenor,
78 Posts
Canada is a big country. What province are you in? It will be easier to find someone in Toronto than Maple Creek Saskatchewan. (Although,... there may be a fantastic tech there.) I take my sax to Bell and Braces in Windsor Ontario. Nicole is amazing and quick.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In Southern Ontario Mark Healy (Ironwood Winds) or Mike Filice. Mark is in the east end of Toronto and Mike is in the west end. Both are top notch.

You can message me for contact info.

Andy

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Canada is a big country. What province are you in? It will be easier to find someone in Toronto than Maple Creek Saskatchewan. (Although,... there may be a fantastic tech there.) I take my sax to Bell and Braces in Windsor Ontario. Nicole is amazing and quick.
Canada is a big country, eh? Haha. I am well aware. <smile>
I'm presently in Calgary. Not worried about local relationships I'm happy to ship - I just don't want to send it down south right now. Too delayed and risky a process.
To be clear, there are multiple band stores and a couple of independent repair people in Calgary I could go to - and have for small fixes - but I am looking for introductions to the best of the best sax repair people in Canada, if members here know from experience of having work done on top-end horns. Think the Canadian version of a Boston Sax Shop, or Tenor Madness. Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In Southern Ontario Mark Healy (Ironwood Winds) or Mike Filice. Mark is in the east end of Toronto and Mike is in the west end. Both are top notch.

You can message me for contact info.

Andy
EXCELLENT heads up, thank-you! I wouldn't have known about Mark and Ironwood Winds without your reply here. I will contact them through the store unless you think it would benefit me to contact him otherwise. Feel free to please PM me with any further details you'd like to share.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are you? Do you want someone local or are you happy to ship?
I'm in Calgary. I know all of the local sources very well and if I have to take it to them for some limited work, I will. I'm pleased to ship but within my Country only at this time. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
Man, you have way more faith in the Canadian shipping company options than I do. I'd go for someone "decent" within a drivable distance rather than taking my chances shipping it to "the best" only to have all that good work undone by the good people of Canada Post or FedEx.

·
Registered
YAS875-EX/Eastman ETS-640/YBS-52
221 Posts
We'll have to get together and play sometime when the whole COVID thing settles down- my girlfriend is in Calgary and I'd love to see the scene in the area. I second Mark, but he's the only one I know of in Canada at all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man, you have way more faith in the Canadian shipping company options than I do. I'd go for someone "decent" within a drivable distance rather than taking my chances shipping it to "the best" only to have all that good work undone by the good people of Canada Post or FedEx.
I understand, totally. It's good I've done a lot of this before. I really, really pack my instruments up incredibly well. It's a little involved but when you over-blow this part... you'd have to drive a Humvee over the box to damage my saxes. Not to say that couldn't ever happen...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,337 Posts
Canada is a big country, eh? Haha. I am well aware. <smile>
I'm presently in Calgary. Not worried about local relationships I'm happy to ship - I just don't want to send it down south right now. Too delayed and risky a process.
To be clear, there are multiple band stores and a couple of independent repair people in Calgary I could go to - and have for small fixes - but I am looking for introductions to the best of the best sax repair people in Canada, if members here know from experience of having work done on top-end horns. Think the Canadian version of a Boston Sax Shop, or Tenor Madness. Thanks!
Allo
I do have a great place to recommend you .
Though you ll need to ship ,but you will not regret.
You can PM me if interested .
All the best
Mario

·
Registered
929 Posts
Marc Jean, the same guy who makes those great ligatures, is a very accomplished tech.

Based 2 hours outside of Montreal along the Lawrence river.

He did a wonderful job on a gold plated New Wonder II soprano including adding 6 beautiful little adjusting screws and mounts that he gold plated to match.

Marc really knows how to gold plate!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I
I am a Canadian in The US..I can vouch for Sandro at Masullo music in Vancouver.
I was worried when I moved from the Seattle area, but was happy to find Masullo in Vancouver, he not only does a great job but also went to the same school at the same time as my old tech in Seattle,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
I understand, totally. It's good I've done a lot of this before. I really, really pack my instruments up incredibly well. It's a little involved but when you over-blow this part... you'd have to drive a Humvee over the box to damage my saxes. Not to say that couldn't ever happen...
No guarantee though that the return shipper will go to the same lengths, although hopefully a good tech will go the extra mile to protect their work.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No guarantee though that the return shipper will go to the same lengths, although hopefully a good tech will go the extra mile to protect their work.
I sort of do lock them into guaranteeing that the source sends it back the same. It's an agreement I make with them to simply pack it up and return it in the materials I send. Just a band store would likely not do this, but I find the independent techs who work on pro horns usually care at least a little and understand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,337 Posts
I sort of do lock them into guaranteeing that the source sends it back the same. It's an agreement I make with them to simply pack it up and return it in the materials I send. Just a band store would likely not do this, but I find the independent techs who work on pro horns usually care at least a little and understand.
I would nt worry at all about my tech doind great work and shipping the horn back.
Regards
Saxobari

1 - 20 of 22 Posts