Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Mississauga, Ontario where we attended the 2007 Smooth Jazz Awards. I found out Warren Hill was performing, which is why we went. The first was OK with performances and presentations of awards with lame attempts at humor.

The 2nd half started with a performance from Warren Hill. I think he did "Our First Dance' but don't quote me on that. All I know is that guy can BLOW. He blew the roof off the place and got a standing ovation. We does really creative things with his horn and produces a great sound. My girl leaned over and said "that was worth the admission price right there". He went on to perform with Brian Culbertson, who I absolutely want to see again. I never saw that guy live before, but he one of the best showman I've ever seen. He's a little whacko, but damn he can play. He was burning up the keyboard, then grabbed his trombone and put on even a better show with that. After Spyro Gyra performed, all the performers came out and jammed. Once again, Warren and Brian were the highlights in my opinion. Warren solo'd right after Jay Beckenstein did. There was just no camparison. I've never been a Beckenstein fan, but I do like Spyro Gyra and respect how long they've been around. SO, on our way home, we decided we were going to check Warren Hill and Brian Culbertson tour dates. Those guys stole the whole night.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Brian Culbertson toured a few years ago with the Dave Koz Summer Nights tour. Very talented young keyboardist who blows a mean trombone as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
saxmanglen said:
Brian Culbertson toured a few years ago with the Dave Koz Summer Nights tour. Very talented young keyboardist who blows a mean trombone as well.
Yeah he makes these weird faces and is 100% intense when he performs. I really need to seem him again. He's hosting a 2008 cruise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts