Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ed Bickert – thank you for so, so many beautiful chords over the years. No one voices like Ed voices. Rest in eternal peace.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
A wonderful guitar player. Often credited with bringing Paul Desmond out of retirement to produce more lovely recordings for us all to enjoy.

RIP Ed Bickert

- Saxaholic

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
The stuff with Paul Desmond was fantastic. He was a great guitarist and I’m sorry to hear of this news.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,853 Posts
Rest In Peace, Sir.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I only saw Ed play once, but it was great. Moe Kaufman on alto, Dizzy on trumpet, Don Thompson on bass, Jerry Fuller on drums. Ed was playing his Tele Thin line with two humbuckers, what a beautiful sound, improvising counterpoint that would make Bach sit up and take notice.

Of course those records with Desmond are priceless (I'm listening to them as I type). The man was a great musician!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
I also caught Ed Bickert with Moe Koffman, Doug Riley at George's Spaghetti House in TO back in the '70s.
Moe & co. were the house band there for some time.
RIP Ed.

·
Registered
923 Posts
So sad to hear. Ed was playing at the very first club date I ever went to, underage at probably 14 or 15 years old. He was playing with Moe Koffman's quintet at the long-gone George's Spaghetti House in Toronto, and I still remember how completely chill he was while everyone else was swingin' hard around him, sitting there with one leg crossed over the other, eyes closed, cigarette perched between two tuning pegs. I have loved every single thing I've ever heard him play, from the Desmond albums to his work with the Boss Brass. One of my favourites is a quirky little duet album he recorded with Rob McConnell called "Mutual Street" - check out their version of Royal Garden Blues from that recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSYukL5fhwM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts