Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use Bflat tenor music play along books for Bflat Soprano? I am using these books at the moment (aebersold and Dirko Juchem) and they seem to work ok, I know the saxes are both Bflat, but I often wonder if they are writen around the lower notes on the Tenor and perhaps not suitable for Sop. I have a book called The 'Bflat Eflat bop Book' 100 all time Jazz hits, one page is for alto Eflat and the other page is for Bflat but often when I play them I find the Eflat alto page (which is usually written higher, 2 intervals?) is nicer to play on the Sop. which makes me ponder this question.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
You're playing the melody an octave higher than the tenor sounds but it will work fine for play-alongs. There are some tunes where one might really miss the lower sound of the tenor — the low Bb's in "Night Train" probably wouldn't be that effective on soprano. If you enjoy playing from the Eb book, that's great — it just won't work with pre-recorded Eb accompaniment.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
Have some alto player play the Eb page while you play the Bb page. You'll find they work together. If you had a play-along CD to work with, you'd find the Bb works fine and the Eb does not.

You CAN do a lot of things. You CAN play piano music and just bump every note up a notch - look at C and play D. loook at D and play E, etc.

Of course, you only have to transpose if some one is going to play with you, such as a piano accompaniment. otherwise, just play C music as though it was written in Bb. Who cares?

The only case where you'd have trouble is if you find notes that are not on your horn, such as low A or G. then you have to find alternatives for those notes that you can play. This can usually be done.

The MUSIC POLICE are pretty lax in most parts of the world. They won't notice what music you are playing unless you play it poorly!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
The Three C's of Music Enforcement . . . Complained about . . . Commercialized . . . Conspicuous . . . will get you popped (arrested) every time. DAVE

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used an old guitar fingerpicking book, with some great songs in there, they work well!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
How about alto and tenor playing off the same page without transposing. Isn't anyone into the "Gregorian chant" sound?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Suggest you learn how to read lead sheets (piano music) in C and tranpose for Alto/Bari or Tenor/Soprano. This frees you up totally to play along with any piano player that has a fake book or old music sheets. Once you learn to be comfortable transposing you will have more fun playing along.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried this (alto and tenor on same sheet) and it does sound peculiar?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts