Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I need your help. I need you to suggest something to hear 'cause i have no idea, i need songs fellas not saxophonists! The only tracks i 've heard of is the 'Equinox', 'Freddie the freeloader', Watermelon man' and 'Chameleon' so...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes tj but all those are just names of famous sax players...I want some songs that show xhat a sax CAN DO! I normally play the guitar and keep on listening Zeppelin so I need you to indicate the 'sax' music

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Jeez Jimi, you want it handed to you on a plate? ;) ;) ;)

I tell you what, try typing some of the names of those sax players into You Tube and listen to a few clips there to find out what sort of thing you like and then go and check the artists you like out on Amazon and buy yourself some CDs. The sax is a really wide genre - it's like asking for an example of guitar music - do you mean Hendrix or Segovia, because there's more than a little difference :)

If you can narrow it down a bit (make that a lot) more then people here will probably be able to help you more specifically. Alternatively, there's some threads here on what CDs people are listening to right now, what their all time favourite albums are, what songs mean the most to them personally, etc, etc so try researching old SOTW threads as well!

This thread is probably a good start.

Have fun with it and make sure you include Paul Gonsalves and Ben Webster in your research... I'll be checking!

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
JimiDS said:
Yes tj but all those are just names of famous sax players...I want some songs that show xhat a sax CAN DO! I normally play the guitar and keep on listening Zeppelin so I need you to indicate the 'sax' music
To use your guitar example (I also play guitar)... When I listen to Jimmy Page, it doesn't matter what song it is to me. I'm exploring his impact and influence on the instrument. The same is true of sax players. Study the styles, tone and technic of each player. Most horn players will do their own take on standards in their recordings. It's useful to listen for each player's ideas on them. That's why those threads were helpful to me.

Enjoy your journey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts