Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, I put another blind poll up on my site 7 recordings 7 different ligatures. Can you tell a difference? Recorded one after another with the same reed and same JVW link I have. I was careful that the reed didn't move at all when I was changing ligatures. Does the lig make a difference? I haven't even listened to these yet so I'm curious if I can hear one!:D Next I will be posting 7 clips of me wearing pants of different materials to see if that makes a difference........:cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,004 Posts
You miss the point. It doesn't matter if we can tell the difference. All that matters is that you can tell the difference.

·
Registered
769 Posts
An interesting exercise. Many were too close to call. However, I did vote for a recording, because there were one or two which stood out as different, and I did like it better. This could be in my head. But, 1saxman poses a good point and an arguement made by many of us who have experimented with different ligs. Did the different ones "feel" different to you?

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I like 2 and 7 but 7 was the only clip of all 7 that actually sounded a SHADE different to my ears...it was a little fuller and a bit smoother and had a bit more body to the sound...but we are talking *shades* man...
very interesting...kind of confirms what I think about ligs...for the most part, they only affect the way the PLAYER feels and not the actual sound so much...but affecting the way the player feels can make or break him...and if it *makes* him...he'll blow better and thus sound better...it's all cause and effect...

Cheers

which lig was #7

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Nefertiti said:
Allright,:D Next I will be posting 7 clips of me wearing pants of different materials to see if that makes a difference........:cool:

Corduroy is an excellent choice for Latin bands...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
They all sound the same to me Neff, but what matters is how they work for you.......daryl

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nefertiti said:
Actually, the one I liked playing the best isn't the one I liked when I listened to them. Now that a conundrum!:shock:
But its cheaper than doing the same thing with mouthpieces! i just got a new crescent though
pb

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
From # 4 they all seem darker but the difference isn't so remarkable. 1-3 slightly brighter, 4-7 slightly darker. Play the one you enjoy playing and be happy. Corduroy is never a good look.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
They all sounded pretty much the same to me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
perhaps it would help if you had played the exact same thing on all 7 clips. I think some of the difference in sound (if any) may have been due in part to the content of what was played, and how you played it. (hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me!)

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The results for anyone who is interested:
1. Rovner EVO
2. Rovner EVO with bars against reed
3.Selmer 404
4. Optima
5. Oleg
6. Link Lig
7. Rovner Mark III

i think most people liked 4&5. I liked 3 the best when I listened to them. I think I like the EVO the best when I was playing it. Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts