Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the Yamaha 4C mouthpiece that came with my soprano sax but I would prefer a (plastic) mouthpiece with a darker sound.
Do you have any suggestions ? I am looking for a plastic mouthpiece, not rubber, because I cannot spend too much money. Thanks !

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Re: Mouthpiece for a warmer sound

sorry, rubber not plastic, but you might ask around for a Buescher. given their age and relative lack of celebration, you might find one laying around some shop, etc. very large chamber. otherwise, a Morgan Vintage.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,493 Posts

The Yamaha is an excellent mouthpiece already.

My personal ideal soprano mouthpiece with a warm sound is a Ponzol Vintage HR 70 (they are also rather more open than a 4C so you may want to play with a softer reed, which, I think, is a good strategy but might take some getting used to for intonation purposes) but it is probably outside your budget. That one I’ve sold with my curved soprano to SOTW member noresponsenecessary.

A close second was a surprisingly cheap plastic mouthpiece that I have kept for just in case.

The Bari Esprit which has to be considered a bargain at this price from Thomann with ligature and cap!

https://www.thomann.de/gb/bari_esprit_soprano_saxophone.htm#

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I like the Yamaha 4C mouthpiece that came with my soprano sax but I would prefer a (plastic) mouthpiece with a darker sound.
Do you have any suggestions ? I am looking for a plastic mouthpiece, not rubber, because I cannot spend too much money. Thanks !
I would look for a used Caravan, Rascher, or Rousseau 4R. Even new, none of these is super expensive.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,302 Posts

In all my years of playing soprano, I still haven't figured out how all the various factors affect soprano mouthpiece performance (chamber size, length of lay and all of that). The ONE factor that I've come to depend on is tip-openings.

When I play the more closed-tip mouthpieces (4C, S-80 C*, even an S-80 D), my tone goes to the oboe-like sound one hears in many sopranos.

When I open up into the .060+ tips (S-80 G and J, Super Session J, Morgan Vintage 7, Phil-Tone's Sapphire .070, and Joe's Missing Link .072) then my tone takes on a warmer, room-filling character that sounds more like a saxophone and less like an oboe.

Another part of the puzzle is the reed. The oboe comes and goes as do the reeds . . . one reed would qualify me for the oboe section in an orchestra while the next reed puts me back in the Bechet corner.

But for the OP? Who knows? DAVE

·
39,493 Posts
Gerardo, double posting and crossposting is not allowed here and makes no sense, one post is more than enough.

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
Administrator note:

Gerardo,

i have merged your two threads discussing this into this one. SOTW does not permit cross posting of identical topics by the same OP, and the other was also in the wrong sub forum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,352 Posts

There are some good ones, if you do not want to spend a whole lotta money,

Bari Esprit, mentioned above...around $25

George M. Bundy Signature model ...around $50.

Meyer ...around $100 or so.

All will produce a warmer, wider, darker tone than a Yama. The Bari will be the brightest, closest to your Yama, but still be sonically different enough for you to move towards the sound you are seeking, certainly.

Tip opening of your 4C is .047; buy something at least of comparable tip opening; certainly no smaller, possible slightly larger (as in maybe .050-.055).

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
The mouthpiece only helps to facilitate the color or timbre of the tone. It does not create it. The most important factor is the player's concept. Some of the "darkening" of the tone can take place inside the oral cavity. I find that singing "OO" (as in you) with a dark sound helps to get the throat and air in the proper shape and form. Using warm air also helps. On the alto and tenor, the "donut" mute effectively cuts some of the high frequencies coming out the bell. One could be made out of twisting pipe cleaners together the appropriate size that would fit snugly inside the soprano bell. I'm not a professional player, but this is an example of what can be done on soprano using the techniques I described (without the mute). The soprano is an early Buffet Evette-Sheaffer with a partial Apogee key system and an early scroll shank Selmer D mouthpiece. I created the "string" accompaniment using Finale 2014 that I would be happy to share with anyone who would like it.

Gabriel's Oboe

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,352 Posts
Interesting...but fact remains you can only muster so much sonic beauty out of a Yama 4C.

If your hardware is not designed to incline towards certain tonal attributes (which you strive for), then you are handicapping yourself by using the wrong piece of hardware.

·
39,493 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Any of the Morgan models will be darker than the Yamaha. The Morgan Jazz Model is the brightest of the Morgan hard rubber pieces, but still warmer than most modern soprano pieces. The Classical model has a larger chamber than the Jazz model, so it is a darker piece. The Morgan Large Chamber is the darkest. It has the largest chamber with no choke in the throat and is among the warmest playing mouthpieces on the market. All are rubber and handcrafted inside and out.

The Morgan Vintage Model is made of resin and will also be darker than most modern soprano mouthpieces.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You could try a Yamaha 5C or 6C. I think they should be a bit darker, but I have never played one so I am not sure.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Darkest I've run across is the BARI with the aluminum band. Won't break the bank at all.

Yani 5 or 7 is another good option but pushing $100.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,311 Posts
You could try a Yamaha 5C or 6C. I think they should be a bit darker, but I have never played one so I am not sure.
I kind of agree with this. IMO no mouthpiece is "dark" but my interpretation of the word in relation to saxophone sound may be different to others'

However a wider tip may allow more of a verstaility in tone, which would then allow the player to get what they think is a darker sound. I have always thought drakness is something that very much comes from the player, not the equipment.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
You could get the baffle lowered and/or throat opened in the Yamaha for like $30. May be the lowest cost option.
Serious question. How much more open can you go on the baffle and chamber of a plastic Yamaha 4C soprano mouthpiece. 2nd question: Have you ever worked on a tarogato mouthpiece?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts