Sax on the Web Forum banner

Regarding Harder Bop readability...

• For readability, I prefer the current white text on black color scheme.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • For readability, I DO NOT prefer the current scheme, and would prefer black text on white.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • I don't think it makes a difference.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I have a whole 'nother, Earth-shattering take on the thing, which I offer in a post below.

Votes: 1 7.7%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blog features white text on a black background. On the All About Jazz discussion group, someone complained that the white text on black color scheme rendered it unreadable.

To MY eyeballs, white text on a black background IS difficult to read in a reflecting context (i.e. paper), but is easier to read on a monitor, where I'm looking at projecting light. I think.

Obviously, I'd like my site to be as easy to read as possible, and I'd love to know SOTWers' take on this: visit the blog, Harder Bop, and tell me if it's hard to read.

If you'd like to see what it looks like with black text on a white backgroud, there's a Firefox add-on called No Color (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-color/) that will remove all HTML colors and backgrounds from a web page -- you can use it on the blog to see what the page looks like with black text on a white background.

Feedback (if any...) I get here will help me decide whether to change to a black text on white scheme. (Because Service is my middle name. Which means my name is REALLY f'ed up.)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
I have a whole 'nother, Earth-shattering take on the thing, which I offer in a post below.

My site used to be yellow on black, then white on black. But people did complain. I find white on black readable, but very titing after a while. I think what is worse though, and this is probably what makes people complain more in the context of your site, could be the italic, especially in quite a small font.

In fact I'll be brutally honest, I wanted to read your blog but gave up after a couple of sentences. (But then, I don't mind Kenny G so maybe that should be taken into account)

My preference is for dark grey on white, or (even better) on a slightly off white which takes some glare off.

I think various researches into page colour have shown that the most peaceful and relaxing colour is a pale green.

·
Registered
442 Posts
(But then, I don't mind Kenny G so maybe that should be taken into account)
Loved that!

I have to agree that the italicized font is pretty difficult to read. I didn't have much of a problem with the non-italics, but it might "wear on me" after a while. It's just rather loud in appearance...and being a music blog, maybe that's what you're going for!?!?

·
Registered
255 Posts
It makes me dizzy. I think the font is too small or the words aren't spaced out widely enough. Try a different font or same font different size.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts

·
28,943 Posts
Two more things.

The spots of the background are really distracting, they kind of shout at you while trying to read the stuff in the blog.

The space between the lines is also a bit narrow. Wider spaced would be good (especially if you really want italics, which i still think is a not good idea)

·
3,230 Posts
i was able to read it fine Kelly, and my eyes are not what they used to be. That said, Hak and Pete are two pretty knowlegable cats, so don't take lightly their input.

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very helpful, folks! Thank you -- based on suggestions here, I'm going to make some changes.

It appears that the white text on black thing can elicit 2 broad reactions: either it doesn't really bother folks, or it burns the eyeball and makes the page unusable. And broad swaths of text in italics gotta go!

(But then, I don't mind Kenny G so maybe that should be taken into account)
Stone him! (Just thought it was important to get that in there...)

·
28,943 Posts
Stone him! (Just thought it was important to get that in there...)
What if he is already stoned?

BTW, the whole thing re: white on black.

What I find is that though some people are OK with white on black and others are not, almost everybody has no problem with black on white (or IMO preferable), dark gray on off white.

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I find is that though some people are OK with white on black and others are not, almost everybody has no problem with black on white (or IMO preferable), dark gray on off white.
Indeed. Definitely gonna go in the dark text on light direction...

I like it the way it is, but if you need to change think about Fuchsia.
One of those colors, like taupe and puce, that I have no idea what they are! But I'm guessing they'd be lovely together!

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While some of the posts have individual elements that need tweaking, the blog has been revised along the lines of the suggestions I've received here. If you feel inclined (or even if you feel upright...), check it out and tell me what you think: Harder Bop.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Hi Kelly. You know I think you are a bloody good writer..

however..

..the " textured paper" look of the blog makes your text hard to read and is really quite irritating.

IMO.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Seems harder for me to read now, the textured background draws the eye.

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Precious Textured Paper?!? You ruthless bastards!

Nah: actually, it's GONE! I give and give and give...

(Thanks, gents!)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Much better!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
It does definitely read better now, Kelly. If I was coming to your site not knowing your writing that one change would have made the difference between me reading or not. I'm really that superficial.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Definitely an improvement! My only other criticism is the width of the column. I like a bit wider.

Being a color chooser nitwit, I use adobe's kuler site to find colors that go together

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Liked it better before.Why do you listen to these clowns?:popcorn:
Why, I Orta...

Okay, so:

lost the dots (they didn't really bother me, but I'm generally soaked in black-market Ritalin);

deep-sixed the large blocks of italics (which I liked, because they were so curly and frilly, expressing my always-suppressed-but-bubbling-to-the-surface girly side);

ditched the textured paper after an outcry ("It BURNS, it BURNS!");

after no outcry at all, got rid of the generic gray background, for wholesome, clean, crisp, God-Ordained papal white;

made some other tweaks that are none of your business.

AND: jeez: it really looks better! Thanks to all of you who played at home: srsly!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts