• Player #6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Player #7

Votes: 1 2.9%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
its not really fair to judge the musicianship on these clips from these snippets,as playing over 1 chord is a story...but the ONLY clip i like from all of them is #3....the technique demonstrated is remeniscent of the G man's tenor playing of the 80's....i don't want to immediately assume that the soupy sound and vibrato of #4 makes it G....so im torn between 3 and 4

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
1 Jeff Kashiwa
2 Greg Vail
3 Kenny G
4 Euge Groove
5 Gerald Albright
6 Richard Elliot
7 Boney James

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
The fact that it says "this video is a response to Pat Metheny on Kenny G" makes me think it's a set-up. It's supposed to surprise us in that it doesn't sound like the Kenny G that we've all come to know and love. To be a true test, the youtube poster should have put a clip of Kenny G doing his commercially successful, yet much maligned, soprano thing -- not Kenny G on a rare tenor performance.

I think #5 is Gerald Albright. That's the only one I seem to recognize.

I'll choose #3 for Kenny G, since it sort of sounds like this:

Edit: EgilF posted his list while I was typing. At least my two guesses are in line with his!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Buck nailed it---Kenny G is #3, and it sounds like he's riffing over the chords to "Midnight Motion," a song from his "Duotones" album that also contained his breakout hit "Songbird" mentioned by Face Ache Mike.

I think this clip is a good example of why the G Man gets a bum rap. Sounds like a fairly beefy tenor tone and some fast and clean IMPROVISED lines. I mean, it's not Giant Steps, but not bad especially in direct comparison to all the other top funk/R&B players.

Not that I'm trying to encourage the one-millionth Kenny G debate. ;-)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...looks like we've got the same opinion throughout here...this is a setup to make you think its #4 but its #3

·
1,210 Posts
I think this clip is a good example of why the G Man gets a bum rap. Sounds like a fairly beefy tenor tone and some fast and clean IMPROVISED lines. I mean, it's not Giant Steps, but not bad especially in direct comparison to all the other top funk/R&B players.
No bum rap. Most people just don't like the music he mostly plays. It's usually not an alleged lack of profiency that has people disliking him, it's just a matter of taste. Hands down!? <:

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
. It's usually not an alleged lack of profiency that has people disliking him, it's just a matter of taste. Hands down!? <:
I find it odd that people would dislike him, because of a different taste in music.

EDIT: and in fact people such as Pat Metheny do put him down for what they think is a lack of proficiency.

·
Registered
179 Posts
4 is Dave Koz
1 is Eric Marienthal
5 is possibly Albright but a little messy so can't be sure.

Don't know which one is G as I'm not very familiar with his playing, I'll guess at no. 3 as its the least clean and the articulation isn't as strong.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I hold no brief for Metheny (his slagging of the G man wasn't at all classy) but I seem to remember he was finding fault with KG's taste more than his proficiency (referring to the album with the Armstrong material, wasn't it?).

I agree with ismail. To say "it's odd that people dislike him" is splitting hairs, isn't it? If I say "I dislike Beethoven" that means "I dislike his music". I don't know Beethoven. Plenty of people just don't enjoy Kenny G's music that much.

I say 3 as well (though I'd be lying if I said previous posts aren't influencing me at all). I must say several of those clips were the kind of stuff I wouldn't want to listen to for any length of time.

·
1,210 Posts
No bum rap. Most people just don't like the music he mostly plays. It's usually not an alleged lack of profiency that has people disliking him, it's just a matter of taste. Hands down!? <:
Well, this quote of mine was meant to imply that people dislike his MUSIC, which is one word more to type (I'm lazy), and unless we are talking about a group of people who know KG personally, I think that "disliking him" means "disliking his music", just as our pedantic Rootytootoot put it.

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts
Ermm can I just make the disclaimer that I do like KG the person. I even have a signed photo of him on the wall of my practice room.

Gags start here:
If you dont practice hard, this is what you`ll become
It keeps the kids away from my gear

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
no. 3 as its the least clean and the articulation isn't as strong.
i find that statement surprising!!...i guess rythmic precision doesnt play much of a role(which is precisely why i ONLY like #3!!)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't know which one is G as I'm not very familiar with his playing, I'll guess at no. 3 as its the least clean and the articulation isn't as strong.
Ok I probably should have worded that differently, there is nothing wrong with no.3 was just going with instinct based on my limited experience I have of his playing. To me it just sounded like the kind of thing he would play.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm on the number 3 bandwagon as well. As Nick said it sounds like Midnight Motion. I kind of thought 1 was Euge Groove but I didn't recognize any of the other clips. I definitely didn't hear Whalum in that mix and I agree that 5 might be Albright. I guess the "punch line" comes later right? I have to say, though, that I am not a KG hater so if there is a punch line it won't hurt my feelings at all. :)
-B

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
"I find it odd that people would dislike him, because of a different taste in music." Sure, just like I shouldn't dislike a politician who has a different idea of policy -

for What OTHER reason would I dislike Mr. G? Because he's obnoxious and plays the shallowest music on the planet?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.