Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Great alto soloist
I’ve seen Tom Scott’s name associated with the Film .
I’m looking for the Bernard Herrmann movie score not anything. Possibly Later derived from the film. I’m not sure that is the great Tom Scott. If this is Scott , I’m impressed with such flexibility.
thanks
I miss that style of alto... pre Sanborn / Washington/ Hank Crawford

it was a softer sound that seems gone from the scene today.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
link?

·
Registered
218 Posts
The OST recording has Tom Scott playing "legit style" on the "Main title" theme. The other version of the theme is the cover by Dave Blume, where the sax is in a different, more modern style. No idea who plays the sax on that one.

Is this the right subforum or this type of request, by the way? Seems this is the place for queries relating to the forum itself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,063 Posts
The alto soloist on the original movie score was Ronnie Lang, who was unavailable when they later recorded the soundtrack album, which Tom Scott played the solo on

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The alto soloist on the original movie score was Ronnie Lang, who was unavailable when they later recorded the soundtrack album, which Tom Scott played the solo on

Is the above recording Lang or Scott?

I was guessing it was an older session sax player prior to Scott. I think the delicious style borrows from Duke Ellington great Johnny Hodges.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he talks about it here, starting about 11:50
wonderful wonderful
this reedman session player. Is beautiful and so humble too
This also confirms my sense that a younger player like Tom Scott would not quite sound like Lang who I still feel borrowed a bit from Johnny Hodges

Alto sax in the hands of masters like Lang, is so expressive and beautiful

deep in my memory I also sensed a connection between Body Heat and Taxi

thank you very much. I’m 100% convinced that Lang is indeed the player

·
Registered
218 Posts
So is Tom Scott the sax player on the more upbeat Dave Blume version then? He is actually credited on the main title as far as I can tell, but you’re right, that sounds quite different, so it makes some sense that this is wrong.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,685 Posts

Is the above recording Lang or Scott?

I was guessing it was an older session sax player prior to Scott. I think the delicious style borrows from Duke Ellington great Johnny Hodges.
Hadn't heard this before, and its wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Side note: 'Not Kenny G'? Sounds like something the real Kenny G would say.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,929 Posts
This alto style has been endemic in Hollywood and is still being used today. Just check any scene, like when a beautiful woman walks into the detective's office. Most of the time the tone is darker, and i think guys who do this probably use old Selmers like a Modele 22. Its a whole genre of playing that really has not been touched on this board. Like for example, how Plas Johnson became the voice of the tenor sax in the movies as well as on half the rock & roll records of the day. Henry Mancini's 'Pink Panther' and Ray Anthony's 'Peter Gunn' are just a couple of examples.
I have often wondered who those alto players are that really have that 'sexy' alto sound down to a science.

·
Banned
307 Posts
I just watched the movie a week ago, and was so impressed with the alto solos that I asked my wife to look it up on her HAL 9000 iphone. She said it was Ronnie Lang, a truly great L.A. studio musician. Mancini hired Ronnie as one of his regulars, a truly great player.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hadn't heard this before, and its wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Side note: 'Not Kenny G'? Sounds like something the real Kenny G would say.....
“Sounds like something the real Kenny... would say”!! Ok I’ll bite .. what did I say that sounds like what Mr G Would say?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another great alto led theme from that era. This one played by Anthony Ortega.

i know Maestro Ortega and as a multi instrumentalist I’ve played elec bass and keyboard with him

May I talk a bit like those old guys do?

I have always looked down on musicians who say
like his tone. But not his ideas. Or vice versa. Like the ideas not the tone’
I’ve consistently felt that the musician is a complete package ideas and tone go together

well now in a way I’m going to contradict myself
By saying

I suspect Tony Ortega is maybe more of an improvisor than Lang. But Lang’s tone blows me away. He Is a session chameleon
But the tones ( both ) he uses on Taxi and on Body Heat. Made a powerful impression

In that case ( to complicate this even more) the “ideas” Lang is playing belong to the composer / arranger of the 2 killer themes

with Lang I guess I’m getting his debt to Hodges plus his great interpretation of Herrmann’s melodies

May I add a little more ( I’m rarely here - thank you Mr Lang for being the catalyst to me here ) ?
I’ve always felt tenor is much easier to get a decent tone than alto

I find few alto players who have killer tone
Lang is on my short list

others are Bird Woods Cannonball Moody Sanborn Crawford Garrett Charlie Mariano McPherson Washington
I’m sure I’ve overlooked some !

but tenor sax players with delicious and widely varying tone seems to me, is much more plentiful

maybe it’s the narrower “bore” of the alto
just seems like a harder instrument, tone wise .

·
Banned
307 Posts
i know Maestro Ortega and as a multi instrumentalist I’ve played elec bass and keyboard with him

May I talk a bit like those old guys do?

I have always looked down on musicians who say
like his tone. But not his ideas. Or vice versa. Like the ideas not the tone’
I’ve consistently felt that the musician is a complete package ideas and tone go together

well now in a way I’m going to contradict myself
By saying

I suspect Tony Ortega is maybe more of an improvisor than Lang. But Lang’s tone blows me away. He Is a session chameleon
But the tones ( both ) he uses on Taxi and on Body Heat. Made a powerful impression

In that case ( to complicate this even more) the “ideas” Lang is playing belong to the composer / arranger of the 2 killer themes

with Lang I guess I’m getting his debt to Hodges plus his great interpretation of Herrmann’s melodies

May I add a little more ( I’m rarely here - thank you Mr Lang for being the catalyst to me here ) ?
I’ve always felt tenor is much easier to get a decent tone than alto

I find few alto players who have killer tone
Lang is on my short list

others are Bird Woods Cannonball Moody Sanborn Crawford Garrett Charlie Mariano McPherson Washington
I’m sure I’ve overlooked some !

but tenor sax players with delicious and widely varying tone seems to me, is much more plentiful

maybe it’s the narrower “bore” of the alto
just seems like a harder instrument, tone wise .
I bought an arranging book when I was in college in 1970 by Henry Mancini, and it was called Sounds And Scores. Great book. He listed the players who were his regulars going back to the Peter Gunn TV series days, and movie soundtracks after that, and he listed Ronnie Lang, which was a name I never heard of before. Ronnie plays great on multiple woodwinds, and yeah, he also has great jazz chops. Truly an exceptional musician, and an inspiration to listen to.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm always intrigued by film score puzzles. It appears the first release of the score consisted of tracks by David Blume AND some tracks of the "original score" conducted by Herrmann. The track posted in post #5, which I believe is one of the Herrmann-conducted tracks on the album, does sound like the sax performance you hear in the movie when Travis first sees Betsy, although the mix is different. There have been at least two other releases, one a CD with additional original score tracks, and a two-LP edition of the 'complete score'. Whether or not the album tracks conducted by Herrmann are the same ones used in the film, they were recorded at the same time, as Herrmann died the night of the last recording session.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,685 Posts
“Sounds like something the real Kenny... would say”!! Ok I’ll bite .. what did I say that sounds like what Mr G Would say?
Heh, just simply stating that making your name Not Kenny G is something I find suspicious, and the real Kenny G might do - implying you are Kenny G :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heh, just simply stating that making your name Not Kenny G is something I find suspicious, and the real Kenny G might do - implying you are Kenny G :)
And you in turn. Sound a little bit clownish lol

I hope you can take a joke

no. I’m definitely not mr Gorevich. ( not sure of the spelling - I actually knew a relative of his - that relatives’ last name was Spector. Maybe Larry. Here in sunny calif )

I shouldn’t have used not Kenny. Because it’s kind of sophomoric sarcasm

I am not Kenny nor am I on the other end -the white ( Missouri ) jazz player Metheny, who got a little religious in his offense to mr G perhaps tastelessly insinuating himself into Louis Armstrong commercial recording

I’m neither extreme
I hope I’m not too tasteless in spite of making a difficult living in music

nor A jazz nazi like Pat

I’m a fly on the wall type of fellow
To me the world is crazy Including me R times

All I know is great alto sounds are relatively rare
Tenor is more forgiving
As is Bari

your turn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm always intrigued by film score puzzles. It appears the first release of the score consisted of tracks by David Blume AND some tracks of the "original score" conducted by Herrmann. The track posted in post #5, which I believe is one of the Herrmann-conducted tracks on the album, does sound like the sax performance you hear in the movie when Travis first sees Betsy, although the mix is different. There have been at least two other releases, one a CD with additional original score tracks, and a two-LP edition of the 'complete score'. Whether or not the album tracks conducted by Herrmann are the same ones used in the film, they were recorded at the same time, as Herrmann died the night of the last recording session.
I’m not sure what you’re suggesting
All I know is the movie I saw last night called taxi Was not anyone but Ronnie Lang

i only learned of Mr Lang from this educated forum today !

I’m a former sax player and I know a bit about sax tones

that tone I heard is older school mouthpiece that I naturally associate with older players than myself

guys my age didn’t play like Johnny Hodges

the brilliant chameleon Lang ( who is brand new as far as his identity ) nailed that older style

I have an affection for the older sax legends
And huge respect for session guy like Lang

1 - 20 of 43 Posts