Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,025 Posts
Those are great horns. They are somewhat undervalued, so you should be able to get it for a good price. If it truly has been overhauled and needs no work, you might get a VERY good deal. But I'd still save some $$ to be sure you can have it put into top playing condition. Can't really say what's a good price ($450 would be a steal), but if you can get it within your budget, you will have a top pro horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts
I agree if you can acquire that for that kind of money it has the potential to become a great horn for you. The owner says the horn has just had an overhaul (opinions diverge to what exactly that should mean but possibly that means that all the pads, corks and felts have been replaced and the horn has been adjusted and it is fully functional, anything less shouldn't be an overhaul) and that should mean no more costs. Make sure the shipping is adequate since shipping from Australia can be more expensive that from other locations (but you might be in Australia and then it won't be as expensive as shipping things TO Australia!)

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Appears to be original lacquer. A pro horn from the 50's. If it's really in good playing condition as described and you can pick it up for under $800, you have done well and it will stand up to anything else available.

Given that it's Australia, and we don't know where you are, do mind what Gary said about the shipping cost. Might want to ask the seller what it will cost to ship it to your location.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
It's an Aristocrat Series III Model 140 made in the year 1950. It's also called the "Scroll" model.

I believe the Series I and early Series II are more prized. But this is also a great sax model.

I'd put the eBay value around $500-$700 for a nice one in playing condition.

This one looks nice. And I can see gold-plating still on some of the Norton springs. You need to find out if it still has all of its snap-on pads.

·
8,588 Posts
Earlier ones bring more money (Big B's as an example), but in the altos, as near as I can tell, there's no difference here other than the engraving for at least 15 years. They were pretty stable in design and manufacture from the mid 40's on to the late '50s, and perhaps much earlier discounting the keywork and key guard design.

·
23,025 Posts
Earlier ones bring more money (Big B's as an example), but in the altos, as near as I can tell, there's no difference here other than the engraving for at least 15 years. They were pretty stable in design and manufacture from the mid 40's on to the late '50s, and perhaps much earlier discounting the keywork and key guard design.
+1. "More prized" does not mean better in this case. And I think there might be more differences among the tenors during this period, but even so, the entire run of Aristocrats in both altos and tenors, up to the early '50s are all great horns. And they all go for prices well below what they are worth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for giving information. Though I didn't win this sax (the sale price was $860, my maximum bid was $850), I gained more knowledge about Buescher. :)

·
8,588 Posts
They got a good but reasonable price for it. You can do probably do better, but it will take some watching.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I try to force myself to just watch a few auctions for a particular type of horn before bidding on one. That way I have some idea of how others are pricing them. Hopefully that keeps me from overbidding.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
When I first read through this thread I thought, "Man! That one brought all the money." That's wrong. These are still a bargain at $860.00 if you aren't trying to resell them. Compare this to any new saxophone. WWBW is selling Selmer La Voix IIs for $1799.00, Bundy BAS-300s for $899.00, YAS-23s for $1812.00, Jupiter 869SG for $1699.00, Allora Boss 2 for $1699.00... Good Grief!!! That nice little script 140 should be over 2K. That's just based on how it plays and sounds. Even if you paid 1200 for the Buescher and had to sell it in a year or two, you'd still be out of pocket less money than the above choices. Ever see a used YAS-23 break 1K other than when a music store sunk the hook in some poor fish on a rent/buy program?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
WWBW is selling Selmer La Voix IIs for $1799.00...
The very worst in modern saxophones. Alto, tenor and bari La Voix... all crap to be avoided.

But in regard to evaluating Ebay saxophones, what you don't want to do next time if publicize the auction on this site. By doing so you draw attention to the auction and attract more competing bids.

·
23,025 Posts
These are still a bargain at $860.00 if you aren't trying to resell them. Compare this to any new saxophone.

That nice little script 140 should be over 2K. That's just based on how it plays and sounds.
Man, that's so true! It amazes me. But then again, not everyone has played a well-set up Buescher.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts