• Take B Is the conn 12m/ Take A is The Selmer MK VI Low A

Votes: 9 33.3%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here is an experiment.

Below are two sax solis - Count Bubba from Gordon Goodwin's big band. All of the saxes (AATTB) are multi tracked by me.

The only difference between these two recordings is the baritone sax used. Same mouthpiece - old otto link.

One track is recorded with my Selmer Mark VI Low A - Been using this horn for years.
The other one is recorded on a Conn 12m - been gigging on it for about a year now.

Questions are three fold fold: Can you hear a difference in tone? If so, which one sounds better to you? Which is the VI, and which is the 12M?

TAKE A
TAKE B

Spoiler: Take A = Conn12m. Take B = Selmer Mk VI Low A

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Got "We can't find playlist" message even though I was logged into SoundCloud.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Not sure which is which because there is a lot of sound going on, but I prefer take A. The Bari has more punch and pop in that take. The notes are more defined and clean. It also has a grit about it that I dig.

B sounds good too, but the Bari just doesn't have the same presence for me on that take.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Both takes sound good to me, but I prefer take A. More punch and edge from the bari - sounds like a Conn. In take B the bari sounds less present, more integrated into the quintett.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think A is the Mark VI, and B is the Conn. Two differences I noticed:

1). I thought Bari was played better in A. Sound was more fluid - less choppy. My guess is that this was the Selmer.
2). I thought the Bari in B gave a rounder fuller tone quality. My guess is that this is the Conn.

I’m interested to find out which was which as I play a Selmer and a Conn on the Tenor side.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoiler alert for one and all.

Take A is the conn
take B is the mk vi

·
Registered
707 Posts
Ah crap, just listened to the tracks and guessed without reading further A Conn, B Selmer. Then I scrolled down and saw your post...

A is more juicy, and B (like saxfax says) more integrated.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I thought the second one sounded a bit more refined. Just for listening though I have no preference - you sound like you on both horns.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,899 Posts
Here's another Conn vs Selmer bari comparison, but both are Bb horns. It has been posted before.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I found this very interesting. Having read here many times that if you play different (bari) saxophones, you will probably will end up sounding like "you" playing a (bari) saxophone, and I wanted to see how true that was (this was mentioned above, also). As it turned out, I could tell on the first Take A and was ready to vote, Take B confirmed and I "chose wisely". My Grassi is much like the Conn, and my French Vito more like the Selmer. Very close, though, the two takes, and I see why they say "you will still sound like you". I listened for the lowest notes to make my choice.

I wish I could get the same mouthpiece to work on both of mine like you did. I wish I could play as well as you do, also.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the kind words, Moxie!

The big difference I find in these saxes, having played the Selmer for over 8 years, and the Conn for about 2, is that while I really love the sound I get in the practice room on the conn, the mark vi gets preference on most of my gigs. I tend to do more rock/pop/R&B music (IE playing with amplified guitar w/ pedals). But smaller ensembles, more acoustic music gets the conn.

I almost feel as if the selmer's sound is projected forward, while the conn is all around me.

The mark VI is able to cut quite a bit more, and doesn't go as wild in pitch when I push it, in contrast to the Conn.

Both of these are concerns playing live, where I'm VERY RARELY fully satisfied with the monitor sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,420 Posts
I just listened to the takes for the first time and picked B as the Selmer because of better intonation and a generally smoother sound. In the other video above the Selmer sounds pretty weak compared to the Conn which sounds great. I think the Selmer probably needed an overhaul.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I listen to these comparisons all the time and usually can't tell. I think it's proof of three things maybe. One, the player makes more difference than any other factors. Two, no matter how different two saxes sound, they still all sound like saxes. Three, my ears just aren't all that great:)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I listen to these comparisons all the time and usually can't tell. I think it's proof of three things maybe. One, the player makes more difference than any other factors. Two, no matter how different two saxes sound, they still all sound like saxes. Three, my ears just aren't all that great:)
Yup - when I went back and listened to the bari mouthpiece shootout I posted a while back I couldn't hear much difference between a dozen different pieces on the recording. However they sound and more importantly feel a lot different to the player which I believe is true of horns as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts