Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting used to my setup and have been starting to do more practicing and recording of myself. I love showing off but unfortunately I think I have some issues I need to work out before I will be able to produce something decent, stuff like getting used to the action and intonation for example. When I practice I do a lot of playing along with music. Today I used one of Al Stevens backing cuts, Poor Butterfly, and tried to play something over it. I don't think it's wonderful but I would like to post it here anyway since maybe someone can give me some tips on how to get it better.

Poor Butterfly Test

some issues im having trouble with are the high notes tending to play flat unless I push them up, sharp C#, quirky intonation in general, and slightly delicate keywork on my Indiana alto.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I like your sound on alto! -- is that the same horn and mouthpiece in your signature ?? --- keep practicing -- you Sound great !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Man,

Your tone and pitch are fine!

You just to need to learn some "vernacular". Copy a solo from your favorite player. It will give you the vocabulary you need to communicate. You can learn about phrasing, notes, time and everything by playing and copying recordings.

Don't sweat the tone and pitch stuff so much. And don't sweat the setup. Put your time into listening to music. You'll be great!

Best of luck,

Crescent

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks, yes jmm, its my Martin Indiana alto, the first playing alto I have ever owned, but yes, I did select it for the sound. :D

crescent, reading music has never been my strong point but it is rewarding to do anyway, when I can concentrate on it. Transcribing solos seems like it would be helpful, perhaps a teacher could help me with this - perhaps if just to motivate me and help me with the reading. thanks, I will consider this - but I do admit that it's not something I LOVE to do like just playing my ideas, you know. I guess this all takes some discipline...

side-rant: not to start anything, but did guys like Louis Armstrong really transcribe solos? I know guys like Michael Brecker and Sonny Stitt did. Of course, I'm not any of these people but just for this discussions sake... Brecker played faster more complicated stuff but no one is going to say it's better or more original than what Louis Armstrong played, right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Coolsax:

I dont' mean that you have write them down or anything. Just play along with the record until you can play the lines.

Did you know that Lester Yound was not a great reader? According to one biography I read, he would communicate with other musicians by playing a note rather than naming it. It was as if he could not actually name the note, but knew how to get the sound on horn.

Mike Brecker also did not read well early in his career.

BTW, At one point Charlie Parker knew all the recorded Lester Yound solos by heart and could play them note for note and sound JUST LIKE Prez. You can learn many a solo with losing your originality.

Best of luck to you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts