Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of Buescher Aristocrat tenor Octave mechanism. I know nothing about torch soldering and it looks difficult. Should I take it to a jeweler?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
1) That's a typical broken key and the typical standard repair is to braze/"silver-solder" it together (high temp, high strength, not low temp low strength).

2) A jeweler might be able to do the soldering-back-together bit, but you need a saxophone repairer. First of all, the parts are distorted, as brass yields first, then it fails. Your local jeweler has zero idea what the part should be shaped like or how it interfaces with the other parts. Secondly, jewelers mostly work with precious metals, not with plain ol' brass. Thirdly, after the repair, no matter how carefully fixtured, the part's still going to need some careful adjustment, realigning (means "bending") and readjusting. A jeweler (unless he's also a saxophonist) will be unable to do this.

·
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am just happy to know it can be fixed. The tech I tried contacting hasn't gotten back to me so I was just thinking to try a jeweler. I am not afraid to do whatever more bending needed. I've got the rest of the horn in good working order. I don't want to take the entire horn anywhere because the case is a musty piece of junk. I will go to a tech. Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,907 Posts
Not all techs are proficient with brazing but you'll most likely be able to find somebody to do it. He probably will require the whole horn so he can mock it up and be sure of how it goes together. Once he has it stuck together he will grind/polish away the excess and it'll simply look like a shiny new part. :)

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
It's brass. It won't be a "clean break". Brass is a ductile material. It bends then it breaks. You've got to correct the distortion from the bending BEFORE you braze it back together, and unless you have the whole horn there and you know how it's supposed to be, you won't be able to do that correctly.

I suppose in theory that could be a high cycle fatigue failure, but it's not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,965 Posts
Part of Buescher Aristocrat tenor Octave mechanism. I know nothing about torch soldering and it looks difficult. Should I take it to a jeweler?
No, although a jeweler could solder it, it needs attention to return it to function. An alternative would be to get a replacement part.

Are you in Albuquerque? If so, I recommend Janet at Second Wind Repair. Else contact @JayeLID

·
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I did try to contact Second Wind Repair first but couldn't wait for a response. All is well now. I have an appointment but she will be out of town so I have to wait a few weeks. Learning patience now.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
I bought a huge box of random saxophone keys several years ago from Perry Ritter. I thought your key looked familiar so I looked through what I had and found this. The measurement from the top of the hinge to the "U" is 60 mm. Let me know if you think it would work and I will send it to you if it does. I also have a smaller one just like it that I assume is for the alto.

Nickel Font Wood Metal Symbol

·
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes indeed Saxoclese, that piece is exactly the same. You are surely a good man going out of your way to help. Not just here but through the years on this forum.
This horn obviously did a lot of marching and had lots of trips to the repairman before it went into moldy storage for years until some guy bought all those old horns up and put them on ebay with dark blurry pictures. Mope decided he had to have the Buescher. Someone else did too so the bid went pretty high.
When I opened the case and saw the octave key sticking out all bent my heart sank. It was still attached, but barely on one side not totally split.
The rest of the sax was in surprisingly good order. All pads good. Snap in pads looked almost new. No leaks. Missing a few corks. Played great all the way down to Bb. I think it had just been to a tech before the octave key got wrecked. Its all cleaned up now and looks pretty good too even with all the dents, scratches, rot and solder. My new tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,544 Posts
A jeweler could probably do it, but it's uncertain if they could do it properly unless they well understood what it should look like after words. Since its not in their wheelhouse, I'd guess that it would cost more, or the work might be declined. I've known at least one tech that wasn't familiar with silver soldering and tried to soft solder a broken key for me. That was a long time ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,965 Posts
Yes I did try to contact Second Wind Repair first but couldn't wait for a response. All is well now. I have an appointment but she will be out of town so I have to wait a few weeks. Learning patience now.
Hah! Janet does good work. Even though I lived in Santa Fe, she was the person I most trusted in that area to work on my horns. If you get that key from Saxoclese, I would still take the horn to Janet to make sure that it fits and functions properly.

Patience… Here’s something that I figured out a long time ago: If you wanted something done sooner, you should have started earlier. :cool:

Yeah, you didn’t have the horn, blah, blah, blah…. Why not? Again, you could have bought it years ago. Think about it for a while, and the time will pass more quickly. Or will it?

·
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many thanks to saxoclese. Key came in the mail today and the sax is now working fine. Luckily my alto has the same configuration except smaller so I was able to match for key travel, corks, and position. Took me a few hours to get it working right. I don't know how the factory set up would be but we are set with really slight movement opening and closing the neck pip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts