Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have found this metal Link. I don't know how old it is (and really don't care much), but it seems to be larger than what is made today and the facing number is on the shank. Plating is in terrible condition, but there is only a small patch in front of the bite plate where brass shows. The tip rail has several very small scratches/nicks. The end of the shank is also scratched and out of round.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Can these things be repaired and a playable piece made out of this?

2. Can it be made into a 6* with a bit more roll over baffle? It is a 7* now.

Just curious as to whether it is worth it to try to salvage the piece or if it should be laid to rest.

Thanks!

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I would think it's possible, especially since you want it taken down and more baffle. But, let's let the expert chime in.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
First, if it really is an "old" metal Link, it is probably worth quite a bit. They seem to go very high now days. Look at the prices on eBay.

Second, yes a good mouthpiece man can probably clean it up for you. My Florida Link was in pretty bad shape when I got it. But Ed Zentera turned it into a great piece.

And as far as looks go, Anderson Plating can probably replate it for you for about $60. Here's the link:

http://andersonsilverplating.com/band_instrument.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Bare in mind that if it is an old, potentialy valuable metal link, dont go messing with it as that will potentially kill the resale value.

I was looking at a site just the other day which described all the various links, but I cant find it now:(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
:cool:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the input!

I'm not overly concerned about looks - I'm more interested in how it plays, but the link on re-plating was useful. I'm certain it is not vintage as in "vauable", since the facing is on the shank. It's probably from the 80's.

I tried to play it today. It does not play well, but I usually play smaller tips than this and I was not using any good reeds. Intonation was wild, which is what I would expect with the larger tip.

I suppose it is worth a shot to try to fix it up. I don't think I can do anything with it as it is.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Consider play testing a 6* STM from WW&BW, or Sam Ash or some other mail order company that offers trials. If you like it well enough, sell the 7* to offset the cost of the 6* if you wish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts