Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start a new thread I like to research what has already been posted on the topic, but searching on SOTW it is very ineffective and time consuming due to the simple fact that words cannot be linked together to zero in on what you are searching for.

In other search engines if you want to look up student mouthpiece you type "student mouthpiece" and get those terms together. On SOTW when you search student mouthpiece you get student, mouthpiece which brings up 400 posts with either one term or the other or both and just two topics. Sometimes a Google search will take me back to SOTW for the information I am searching for.

I know absolutely nothing about how forum search engines work, but would it be possible to upgrade SOTW's search function to search for words together. In my opinion, it would make it 1000% more effective immediately.

If the added cost is stumbling block, why not put it to the members and have a fundraiser to improve and upgrade the search engine. I would gladly donate the first $250 to get it started.

John

·
Registered
196 Posts
I totally agree. With everyone cheesing about using the search function, why shouldn't it be inproved?

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
If you're going to use Google to search, an even more effective way is to add "site:saxontheweb.net/vbulletin" to the end of your search (without the quotes). That forces Google to search the SOTW forums only. This will work with any domain, e.g. site:microsoft.com. So whereas an SOTW search on Ref 54 will get you "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.", the Google search "Ref 54" site:saxontheweb.net/vbulletin will get you this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
844 Posts
fballatore said:
If you're going to use Google to search, an even more effective way is to add "site:saxontheweb.net/vbulletin" to the end of your search (without the quotes). That forces Google to search the SOTW forums only. This will work with any domain, e.g. site:microsoft.com. So whereas an SOTW search on Ref 54 will get you "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.", the Google search "Ref 54" site:saxontheweb.net/vbulletin will get you this.
That's good to know! Thanks!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
saxymanzach said:
Use the "Advanced Search."
On my screen that only gives the following choices:

-Search entire posts
-Search titles only
-Search by user name
-Which forums to search in
-Minimum number of replies
-Date of posts
-How to sort results

None of the above gives any Boolean search options or "Search Engine Math" features as described in this link: http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2156021

(I wonder how many of the oldtimers on SOTW who are always telling newcomers to use the Search Function have actually tried it themselves.);)

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fballatore said:
If you're going to use Google to search, an even more effective way is to add "site:saxontheweb.net/vbulletin" to the end of your search (without the quotes).
Thanks Fballator. That is good to know. However, isn't that kind of like going over and asking your neighbor where to find something in your own house? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cannonball&CmelGuy said:
I totally agree. With everyone cheesing about using the search function, why shouldn't it be inproved?
I agree.

In addition to phrase searching it would also be helpful if longer words were permitted - e.g. a search on the UK dealer "netmusicalinstruments" was rejected because the search term was too long.

If going to Google or another external search engine is the answer (and I fully accept that it might be) then it would probably be best to replace the forum's own search facility with a screen describing the best search techniques to use. This would cut down on server load and (hopefully) frequently asked questions.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
The quality and ability of (or lack of) the site's search engine is a product of the design within vBulletin (the forum's software platform). There's not much if anything the admin's here can do to change that short of changing the forum platform. That's no easy task nor will it improve you're search experience better than using Google.

Sorry, but you're just singin' with the choir.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
I'm grateful for the forum we have, and the Google tip is good, but I'd also like to see a better search function.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks TJ. The information both you and Fballator posted contained the answers I was looking for when I started this thread. Could this information be added in the appropriate area of the site under Helpful Tips for Searching SOTW? Then the old curmudgeons could add that link when they say to the new people:

Use the Search Function Instead of Starting a New Thread :)

John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,424 Posts
jbtsax said:
Thanks TJ. The information both you and Fballator posted contained the answers I was looking for when I started this thread. Could this information be added in the appropriate area of the site under Helpful Tips for Searching SOTW? Then the old curmudgeons could add that link when they say to the new people:

Use the Search Function Instead of Starting a New Thread :)

John
Party pooper.:oops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts