Sax on the Web Forum banner

Can super loud and great tone co-exist in one piece?!

10K views 54 replies 30 participants last post by  JL 
I'm finding that my "overblown" multi-phonic, growling madness is perfect for the roots / jump band I work with. It may not be pretty but it fits the music. It also emulates what some of the original jump players sounded like as they tried to blow past those pesky trumpets. I'm all for amplification and that approach is only appropriate for certain genres or songs but cranked out right, you can make an overblown sax take on a lot of the characteristics of an overdriven guitar. I'm still finding my tone for the jump, but the more I open my throat, drop my jaw, and the harder I blow, the better it seems to sound.

The only other thing I'm blowing sax on these days is classic R&B and I find there that the softer (quieter) my initial reference point is, the better I sound overall (if that makes any sense) Good amplification is the key. I have to agree with the Dr. On that. If you want to just be louder get a bigger amp. On any given night the guitars are going to do the whole "volume creep" thing. No MPC can put you on top of even a cranked 30 watt amp and most guitarists are packing a lot more heat than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.