Sax on the Web Forum banner

Can someone recommend an "inoffensive" soprano?

7K views 68 replies 31 participants last post by  ZootTheSim 
#1 ·
I'm not yet ready to drop $1000 on a soprano so what's in my wheel house at about $700 that will have some resale value? I figure I can get at least $200 for my Chinese one and with the discussions lately, I'm intrigued at the possibility of owning a better one and experiencing better sound so I'm attempting to find a decent entry level horn. What names, besides Jupiter, am I looking for?

#2 ·
I think the Taiwan made Chateau branded sopranos might fit your requirement. They have different level of instruments (student, intermediate, pro) at different price points. As long as they are setup well, it will probably be as serviceable as a Jupiter. You may also be able to find a used Yamaha YSS-475 around $1000 if you look hard enough. You may have to settle for one that is well used, but by all accounts, it should play fantastic. Once again, as long as it is setup well.

#3 ·
The Antiguas from the mid-to-late 2000s are pretty nice. I now play on an SX90 (Keilwerth), but I played on an Antigua (whatever the one-piece model was called) as my main sop for more than a decade.

As far as resale value, the key is to buy a used horn in good condition, then you're likely to get most of the value back when if/when you sell it. If you buy new, you're going to lose a significant amount to depreciation, even if you buy from a major brand.

#4 · (Edited)
I hear lots of good things about Kessler, which is in your budget. I've never played a Kessler soprano myself, but I have one of their baris which is excellent and an amazing value. I tested a Kessler tenor in the past, and while I was not impressed with the sound, it was a quality built instrument.

Not to discourage you from upgrading, but one of my bandmates buys those cheap Chinese sopranos all the time. When one breaks, he just buys another. He is an excellent player and sounds fantastic on them, in spite of the fact they're terrible horns. But he likes all the weird colors and designs and the fact he doesn't have to worry about how he treats them.

#24 ·
Not to discourage you from upgrading, but one of my bandmates buys those cheap Chinese sopranos all the time. When one breaks, he just buys another. He is an excellent player and sounds fantastic on them, in spite of the fact they're terrible horns. But he likes all the weird colors and designs and the fact he doesn't have to worry about how he treats them.
This is how I’ve always felt. The Chinese sopranos at that price point are almost disposable.

I own an Antigua Winds student model alto that I thought was the best horn ever…until I bought a Pan American stencil, which was a major upgrade for me as far as intonation, weight and ease of pay. I discovered while playing the Pan American that I prefer the warmer tone. Now the AW seems too heavy and too bright. I later got a good deal on a Yamaha YAS-23, thinking it would be as special as my YTS-52 tenor but I hate it. That Pan American is the best I’ve ever played. I discovered that by trying something else although I was pleased at the time with the AW.

I want to pick up another soprano to see if my Chinese horn is really not as special as I think it is. I’m learning “Dienda” by ear and the higher notes I’m finding are difficult. Not sure if it’s the horn or my own playing limits. A good friend of mine played my soprano and made it sing, so it’s probably me. I’m pleased with the sound it produces for me, but of course, as a Beginner, I don’t have much of an ear yet. To a trained ear it could sound like a cat being drowned so I’m curious about other horns.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

#6 ·
I had a MkVI soprano that I bought new in the late '70s. I eventually sold it, but now wish I'd kept it. That was a great horn. Nowadays the VI is expensive of course. Another good option you can find at a more reasonable price is a Buescher TT soprano.

As to an inoffensive, soprano, that's up to the player!!

#7 ·
The OP is looking for something he can get for under $1000 (about $700). I don't think either of these qualifies. In addition, while those are both great horns, neither is what I would recommend for a soprano beginner, and both have significant idiosyncracies that might be worth pointing out (e.g., no strap rings, no front F, old-style LH pinky tables, awkward palm keys, etc.).

#10 ·
It's a weird price point, unlikely to find a used vintage soprano in play shape for $700. Most in play shape are over $1000.

And a used modern one of reputed brand name (Yama, Jupe, Yani, etc) would run around $1000-1300+.....

The Kessler, reputed to be made at the same factory as Chateau....seem to slide in there in that price point. Can't say anything about 'em one way or other, never touched one, but general opinion of them leans favorable...

Occasionally I have seen the Jupe 5XX series sell on eBay for around $600 but cannot say whether those were in play shape. There seem to be none at the moment...

#12 ·

Interestingly here are a pair of sleepers. B&S/Weltklang's are actually very respectable sopranos, these are bona fide by them, Musica was a common stencil name for them.

If you can pull either in for $500 then put $200 of tech work into it, I bet you'd have a nice horn. These tend to blow darker and rounder, less bright and reedy, than an asian sop. Build is good, ergos are fine.

#13 ·
If your looking for European made horns I’d suggest Keilwerth stencil horns from the late 70’s. Those are usually in the $800 range. As always, it depends on the set up and if is in play condition. I bought one from a member in Holland for $200 that needed everything and had a great overhaul put on it so my students can try soprano and not break the bank. For the $1000 I have in it - $200 + $800 overhaul - there isn’t anything I’ve played that comes close made in Europe or US. If your looking for Chinese or used Taiwanese you could get it under $700. Make sure you budget for repairs or set up in any event.

#15 ·
Even the Kessler/Chateau saxes (supposedly their least expensive ones) assembled in Vietnam are well made and play well, I have several and they’re all well made, no slop in the keyword assembly and have really good scales. I think they’re the best value in saxes today.

#16 ·
Chateau have a great reputation for better than average quality control. They are shipped across the border to be assembled in Vietnam.
Chateau sopranos are excellent players and play in tune.
As far as mainland Chinese saxes you get what you pay for. Let me just say that the mark up is ridiculous.
I don’t know how much the price is the government propping up the industry or extremely low paid workers, or both. It’s difficult for me to wrap my head around manufacturing a saxophone for $50-100 and selling it for 6X or more.
Ah, first world problems. Happy not to be in Ukraine 🇺🇦.

#17 ·
Kessler, Bauhaus, early Antiguas, Barone. I played a "John Packer" soprano for a while that was very nice - warm sound but still modern. They're all "pretty ok" and very usable for the vast majority of soprano players.

Really, though, the horn you want is a YSS-475. Save until you have $1200 and then snatch one up. You'll never lose money on it.

#26 ·
I figure I can get at least $200 for my Chinese one...
Yeah, good luck with that.

Since you liked the Pan American, you might find a good match with a devalued vintage soprano. Like one that has been lacquered or maybe only keyed up to Eb3. Bruce Bailey right here on the site might have something in stock along this line.

#33 ·
Jupiter would be a good one indeed but my advise is to try to buy an Artist model if you could , sometimes more expensive but they are really good, better than the lower series.

Anyway, something else may be a B&S ( sometimes Weltklang are identical, watch the mechanics of both), they can be very inexpensive. You may also find a Keilwerth Toneking stencil (I have found many in the NL) , probably a bit higher in price though.

#52 ·
I know I'm late to this thread but a few mentioned Kessler sops and I had one so figured I'd chime in.

Bought a straight single soprano from them about 6 years ago. First sop I'd ever owned. Played well enough and the ergos seemed fine for me. Problem was that I needed an adjustment and my test said it was junk and wouldn't work on it. I sold it shortly after and have never bought another soprano.

#55 ·
You don't say WHICH Chinese soprano you currently own. At the price point you are looking, I recommend the Taishan Winds brand off EBay. Yes, it's another Chinese sax, but this guy has really worked hard to make improvements based on feedback from his American customers. TBH, I haven't played their soprano, but I absolutely ADORE the bari I bought from them. Intonation, tone, etc. are all solid. Yes, it feels a bit "lighter" than the expensive European and American horns, but it sounds great and is easy to play. Professional TaiShan Gold Straight Soprano Saxophone New BB Sax High F With Case | eBay. They have some nice curved ones as well.

#56 ·
You don't say WHICH Chinese soprano you currently own. At the price point you are looking, I recommend the Taishan Winds brand off EBay. Yes, it's another Chinese sax, but this guy has really worked hard to make improvements based on feedback from his American customers. TBH, I haven't played their soprano, but I absolutely ADORE the bari I bought from them. Intonation, tone, etc. are all solid. Yes, it feels a bit "lighter" than the expensive European and American horns, but it sounds great and is easy to play. Professional TaiShan Gold Straight Soprano Saxophone New BB Sax High F With Case | eBay. They have some nice curved ones as well.
Thank you for the recommendation!
My Chinese soprano is the Ammoon. It’s the one Jay from Bettersax.com reviewed. I’m still very pleased with it, I just bought an early sixties Weltklang because I wanted to see(and hear) the difference from a horn not built in Asia. When I return from my travel, I’ll be playing my European soprano for the first time. Thanks again for the recommendation!

#57 ·
Inoffensive to whom?

I was pleasantly surprised when I got my Keilwerth stencil a few years ago. The cats and dogs who, with my previous soprano, would run to the farthest corner of the house and cower. With my "new to me" sax, they would actually stay in the room with me. The cats eventually wander off, because they don’t like loud things, but no more running for their lives. My daughter’s dog will still “sing" with me when she visits, but no more howling and whining with her tail tucked between her legs as she slinks away.

I am still not sure what to make of it, but I also prefer the sound.

• Haha
Reactions: JazzWithoutANet
#61 ·
"Throw away" in what way? It's market value? Are you inferring that it is a "disposable" horn based on it's price point alone or have you had the opportunity to examine one and found the intonation unacceptable or the materials or build quality inferior?

Not a challenge to your claim, I'm just curious as to what is the basis of your claim?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.