Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not yet ready to drop $1000 on a soprano so what's in my wheel house at about $700 that will have some resale value? I figure I can get at least $200 for my Chinese one and with the discussions lately, I'm intrigued at the possibility of owning a better one and experiencing better sound so I'm attempting to find a decent entry level horn. What names, besides Jupiter, am I looking for?

· Registered
1,448 Posts
I think the Taiwan made Chateau branded sopranos might fit your requirement. They have different level of instruments (student, intermediate, pro) at different price points. As long as they are setup well, it will probably be as serviceable as a Jupiter. You may also be able to find a used Yamaha YSS-475 around $1000 if you look hard enough. You may have to settle for one that is well used, but by all accounts, it should play fantastic. Once again, as long as it is setup well.

· Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
3,495 Posts
The Antiguas from the mid-to-late 2000s are pretty nice. I now play on an SX90 (Keilwerth), but I played on an Antigua (whatever the one-piece model was called) as my main sop for more than a decade.

As far as resale value, the key is to buy a used horn in good condition, then you're likely to get most of the value back when if/when you sell it. If you buy new, you're going to lose a significant amount to depreciation, even if you buy from a major brand.

· Registered
4,405 Posts
I hear lots of good things about Kessler, which is in your budget. I've never played a Kessler soprano myself, but I have one of their baris which is excellent and an amazing value. I tested a Kessler tenor in the past, and while I was not impressed with the sound, it was a quality built instrument.

Not to discourage you from upgrading, but one of my bandmates buys those cheap Chinese sopranos all the time. When one breaks, he just buys another. He is an excellent player and sounds fantastic on them, in spite of the fact they're terrible horns. But he likes all the weird colors and designs and the fact he doesn't have to worry about how he treats them.

· SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
25,090 Posts
I had a MkVI soprano that I bought new in the late '70s. I eventually sold it, but now wish I'd kept it. That was a great horn. Nowadays the VI is expensive of course. Another good option you can find at a more reasonable price is a Buescher TT soprano.

As to an inoffensive, soprano, that's up to the player!!

· Registered
3,495 Posts
I had a MkVI soprano that I bought new in the late '70s. I eventually sold it, but now wish I'd kept it. That was a great horn. Nowadays the VI is expensive of course. Another good option you can find at a more reasonable price is a Buescher TT soprano.

As to an inoffensive, soprano, that's up to the player!!
The OP is looking for something he can get for under $1000 (about $700). I don't think either of these qualifies. In addition, while those are both great horns, neither is what I would recommend for a soprano beginner, and both have significant idiosyncracies that might be worth pointing out (e.g., no strap rings, no front F, old-style LH pinky tables, awkward palm keys, etc.).

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,509 Posts
I can send you a Belcrest which I have found to be a decent Asian horn and above most of the common ones. $250 + shipping is the norm on these adjujsted and ready to play. Otherwise, find a good old Buescher or similar for in the $900 range.

· SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
25,090 Posts
The OP is looking for something he can get for under $1000 (about $700). I don't think either of these qualifies. In addition, while those are both great horns, neither is what I would recommend for a soprano beginner, and both have significant idiosyncracies that might be worth pointing out (e.g., no strap rings, no front F, old-style LH pinky tables, awkward palm keys, etc.).
Thanks for pointing that out. I read through too fast and missed that the OP wants something for less than $1k. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure my MKVI soprano had a strap ring. And it had no idiosyncrasies (aside from being a soprano) that I recall. It's been a lot of years, though.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,395 Posts
It's a weird price point, unlikely to find a used vintage soprano in play shape for $700. Most in play shape are over $1000.

And a used modern one of reputed brand name (Yama, Jupe, Yani, etc) would run around $1000-1300+.....

The Kessler, reputed to be made at the same factory as Chateau....seem to slide in there in that price point. Can't say anything about 'em one way or other, never touched one, but general opinion of them leans favorable...

Occasionally I have seen the Jupe 5XX series sell on eBay for around $600 but cannot say whether those were in play shape. There seem to be none at the moment...

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,395 Posts

Interestingly here are a pair of sleepers. B&S/Weltklang's are actually very respectable sopranos, these are bona fide by them, Musica was a common stencil name for them.

If you can pull either in for $500 then put $200 of tech work into it, I bet you'd have a nice horn. These tend to blow darker and rounder, less bright and reedy, than an asian sop. Build is good, ergos are fine.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,498 Posts
If your looking for European made horns I’d suggest Keilwerth stencil horns from the late 70’s. Those are usually in the $800 range. As always, it depends on the set up and if is in play condition. I bought one from a member in Holland for $200 that needed everything and had a great overhaul put on it so my students can try soprano and not break the bank. For the $1000 I have in it - $200 + $800 overhaul - there isn’t anything I’ve played that comes close made in Europe or US. If your looking for Chinese or used Taiwanese you could get it under $700. Make sure you budget for repairs or set up in any event.

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Even the Kessler/Chateau saxes (supposedly their least expensive ones) assembled in Vietnam are well made and play well, I have several and they’re all well made, no slop in the keyword assembly and have really good scales. I think they’re the best value in saxes today.

· Forum Contributor 2017
“I play sax but mostly it plays me”
10,200 Posts
Chateau have a great reputation for better than average quality control. They are shipped across the border to be assembled in Vietnam.
Chateau sopranos are excellent players and play in tune.
As far as mainland Chinese saxes you get what you pay for. Let me just say that the mark up is ridiculous.
I don’t know how much the price is the government propping up the industry or extremely low paid workers, or both. It’s difficult for me to wrap my head around manufacturing a saxophone for $50-100 and selling it for 6X or more.
Ah, first world problems. Happy not to be in Ukraine 🇺🇦.

· Registered
1,347 Posts
Kessler, Bauhaus, early Antiguas, Barone. I played a "John Packer" soprano for a while that was very nice - warm sound but still modern. They're all "pretty ok" and very usable for the vast majority of soprano players.

Really, though, the horn you want is a YSS-475. Save until you have $1200 and then snatch one up. You'll never lose money on it.

· Registered
3,495 Posts
Not sure if you were being sarcastic there, but in case not— I assure you he has a lot of fans! 😄
I don't think he was being ironic. There are many great fans of Coltrane (myself included) who wouldn't exactly consider his soprano tone as one to emulate.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts