Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm looking for some advice, My father recently passed away and i have been left his Tenor saxophone it is a Dearman standard, but it was my grandfathers so it is very old, (my father was 65 when he passed ) I had a friend who is a saxophonist look over and she said that is is in very good condition and that all that needs doing is a clean and the cork at the mouth piece needs replacing. I am a guitarust and have no clue about saxophones, can anyone tell me please roughly what it is worth as my mother would like me to sell it and purchase a guitar in memory of my father.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Hi
sorry to hear about your father's demise.
Dearman,i think,was a Chech stencil saxophone and not a bad one at all.As to value thats a different story and hard to determine.
You could try doing a search on its origin,take good photo's etc and try it on ebay but not being from the big companies it may not make a fortune.
Why not keep it and learn saxophone?
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks dave

Hi Dave, thank you for your reply. I would love to be able to play the saxophone, I just can't i tried over the years with my father but it just seems to be something that i can't grasp which seems strange as i took to guitar piano and percussion really easily. I will keep searching to try and find out about this sax it has a number on the back of it, anyway i will keep looing

Tracey

·
Registered
273 Posts
Chugalug, stencils (or copies) tend not to have much value. They may be made by the same production process and even on the same manufacturing line as the more mainstream model that it is intended to copy, but are sold for much less. Your best bet is to have it put in playing condition (or not) and sell it on ebay, or advertise it on this forum in the marketplace under equipment wanted/for sale. Set a decent reserve price for it on ebay and see if you get any bites, if not, lower or drop your reserve.

Good Luck!

3Saxes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,385 Posts
There has been a few posts on this forum re Dearman - try the "search" button above. I don't recall anyone knowing a great deal about them, but it might point you in useful directions - let us know if you find anything!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can someone please help.

Hi Chugaglugs
Sorry to hear about your father. I've had previous posts about the Dearman on this site because like you I was keen to know their history. This is what I have discovered to date. They were marketed in the 1950's and 60's by Dallas Instruments of London (famous for the Grafton perpex alto)and as far as I know were manufactured from old Conn stencils in the Czech republic. They are built to a very high quality and my Super Dearman alto has rolled tone holes and mother of pearl keys complete with the "nailfile" G sharp. I have been told that they are future collectors pieces and one owner in the USA has turned down an offer of $1400 for his! Unfortunately as it's not a name brand it probably wouldn't fetch much on e.bay despite its obvious quality of construction. Hope this is of some assistance.
Regards
Alistair

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
Hi Chugalugs

Sorry to hear about your father.

I own a Dearman Super Tenor like Alistair - heavy instrument, rolled tone holes but with a pearlised nailfile g sharp key.

I have seen one for sale recently in a shop in Oxford for £450.

These are nice instruments(my opinion) and I would get the cork at the crook(where the mouthpiece goes on) replaced this should be only about £8 -10. And if you must sell it then id go with 3saxes idea of putting it on ebay with a decent reserve price.
or
Pay for a few lessons and see if you may wanna kep the instrument and follow in your grandfathers and fathers footsteps.
You may be pleasantly surprised on how relatively simple playing a saxophone can be!!

Much better to learn to play it than to sell it for a song!

Good luck

griff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts