Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I've been playing for one week now and recorded a little theme I made with band in a box. I don't know if experienced players can hear if I'm doing stuff wrong. But I'll add a link so anyone who feels like it can listen and gimme their 5 cents (constructive 5 cents)

http://forum.studio.se/index.php/files/file/11200-thing-in-f-minor/

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Looks like your embouchure is not right, the mouthpiece is to one side. It also sounds like your throat is quite constricted. These could be bad habits, but you've only been playing a week so it doesn't matter. Best thing would be to get a teacher to help guide you into good habits.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the Probleme is private teachers are hard to come by where I live. I've been playing a lot since I started and I feel that the mouthpiece kinda slips to one side after a couple of hours when my jaw starts to get tired. But I'm working on it. Good thing I can get pointers from the comfort of my own home=)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
I feel that the mouthpiece kinda slips to one side after a couple of hours when my jaw starts to get tired.
Better to stop when you are tired rather than let exhaustion guide you to build bad habits.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
I feel that the mouthpiece kinda slips to one side after a couple of hours when my jaw starts to get tired
Better to stop when you are tired rather than let exhaustion guide you to build bad habits.
The mouthpiece slipping to one side as you get tired may well mean you are holding the instrument incorrectly, but who knows? I agree stop before you get that tired.

I also think that at this stage (ie absolute beginner), asking opinions on an internet forum could get very confusing as you may get some very conflicting views based on what has to be a very sketchy interpretation of your soundfiles or videos. Only a real teacher in the room with you can properly get to grips with getting rid of bad habits and reinforcing good ones. If you listen to us attempting to work out what's wrong, you could just end up with more and more bad habits.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
+1. On a positive note, GOOD ON YOU for picking up another instrument and making a go of it. As you probably know, the road is long and rutted, but is rewarding if you work at it. Getting a teacher is the kindler, gentler way to going forward. Good luck! Since finding a teacher in your area is difficult, check out Tim Price on this forum. I think he gives Skype lessons.

The mouthpiece slipping to one side as you get tired may well mean you are holding the instrument incorrectly, but who knows? I agree stop before you get that tired.

I also think that at this stage (ie absolute beginner), asking opinions on an internet forum could get very confusing as you may get some very conflicting views based on what has to be a very sketchy interpretation of your soundfiles or videos. Only a real teacher in the room with you can properly get to grips with getting rid of bad habits and reinforcing good ones. If you listen to us attempting to work out what's wrong, you could just end up with more and more bad habits.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have something small, but it will improve your sound and attack by miles.

Respect the air.

Now, what does that mean? It's a simple set of steps before actually playing the horn. They go as follows:
1- Set the embouchure
2- Set the fingers
3- Internalize the wanted pitch
4- Breathe cool air in, warm air out

The air is everything, so be sure to start sound with air and end sound with air. Not the embouchure :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts