Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Long time stalker ---you know the rest.
I am new to repair and having repadded, made playable again, many student saxes of varying brands with pretty good success I have just gotten a sax that I cannot place.
I have attached some pics in hopes that someone out there can fill me in.
It is a Conn USA shooting star model but the serial number is 1628. It cannot be from the late 1890's. I must be reading something wrong. Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument
I will (hopefully) be bringing it back to life for a student to learn on. I really don't care about value, unless worth more than your typical student sax, just what it is.
I figure that with all the knowledge here someone could identify for me.
Thanks much in advance. Jeff Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Reed instrument Music Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument Musical instrument Light Brass instrument Wind instrument Automotive exhaust

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,009 Posts
Right. The later Conn serial numbers were a bit nutty. That is iust what it looks like, a shooting stars alto 18M or 50M or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right. The later Conn serial numbers were a bit nutty. That is iust what it looks like, a shooting stars alto 18M or 50M or something.
Thanks datsaxman. I figured the number was off. I just hope it is not some old time copy by something- oops- someone :cool:
I hope others chime in as well.

·
Formerly 1958SelmerMarkVI
1,527 Posts
It is a 50M. It is also exactly the same as some Vito branded horns. As the story goes, these were being manufactured for Leblanc (Vito) by the Art Best company. Conn bought out Best along with the factory and unfinished stock. Apparently a good number of unfinished horns had already been stamped with those low serial numbers (The Vito branded ones also have low 4 digit numbers) but must not have been engraved yet. They were finished with the Conn shooting star pattern. Conn continued producing the 50M, but at some point they started putting their own serial numbers on once the stock from Best was depleted. I theorize that they also changed lacquer at this time bc the 4 digit ones all seem to age to that dark brown color whereas later ones with the 6 digit numbers seem to stay light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a 50M. It is also exactly the same as some Vito branded horns. As the story goes, these were being manufactured for Leblanc (Vito) by the Art Best company. Conn bought out Best along with the factory and unfinished stock. Apparently a good number of unfinished horns had already been stamped with those low serial numbers (The Vito branded ones also have low 4 digit numbers) but must not have been engraved yet. They were finished with the Conn shooting star pattern. Conn continued producing the 50M, but at some point they started putting their own serial numbers on once the stock from Best was depleted. I theorize that they also changed lacquer at this time bc the 4 digit ones all seem to age to that dark brown color whereas later ones with the 6 digit numbers seem to stay light.
Thanks. Much appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
I think these were bodies made for Leblanc that were later made as Conns when they opened operations in Nogales.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was gone for a bit, but thanks to all that replied. As always I have found the knowledge and help here superb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts