Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I play Selmer III tenor with a Jumbo Java T75. It sounds great, very easy to produce tone and very forgiving in the low notes.
The only problem I have is that sometimes it's just too bright. I like that when I preform, but when practicing at home I might prefer something a bit darker.

Any recommandations ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
If you're looking for a Runyon, then get the SR, Finesse, or 22 model. Go to their website to see descriptions of these mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
Just my 2 cents , I'm no expert but it seems like a lot of folks spend a lot of time and money on mouthpieces . More guys are going back to rubber but most pros still play metal . I switched from a hard rubber berg to an Otto Link 27 years ago and played it for a long , long time then switched to a V16 when I needed more output for rock .

I say go with a link and if need be have it worked on . There are lots of guys who fix them up . I think Phil Barone has actually recommended doing this .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
"Most pros..." Gotta love that. Can't agree with it but I gotta love it. ;)

Most blues pros? Most jazz pros? Most classical pros?

You're right, of course. They should just take all the silly hard rubber pieces off the market so people don't play the wrong material.

Back to the original poster: Why would you not practice on the 'piece you use to perform? Sure it may sound different because of your room but you need to know how it will respond in performance.

Want to work your sound? Practice outdoors when you can. You'll learn to fill your horn like never before.

·
2,069 Posts
Swingin' Cat said:
Pick up Vandoren Java T75 (not a Jumbo). It's exactly the same mpc, without the baffle.
And an excellent mouthpiece at that. I have two Javas, and even though I seldom play them, they're very well made and can sound really great, nice and fat like a good Link.

·
13,026 Posts
Guys, check the forum, he is asking in the Runyon only area.

·
32,936 Posts
Thanks, Carl. My advice holds true.

·
1,497 Posts
My fault . I could have sworn it was posted under the tenor mouthpiece forum

Dr G you seem like a real pain in the *** .

Dr G said:
"Most pros..." Gotta love that. Can't agree with it but I gotta love it. ;)

Most blues pros? Most jazz pros? Most classical pros?

You're right, of course. They should just take all the silly hard rubber pieces off the market so people don't play the wrong material.

Back to the original poster: Why would you not practice on the 'piece you use to perform? Sure it may sound different because of your room but you need to know how it will respond in performance.

Want to work your sound? Practice outdoors when you can. You'll learn to fill your horn like never before.

·
1,497 Posts
Carl H. said:
Nope ,
It's really irritating to get sniped at when you take the time to write something that might be helpful to someone .

I don't spend a lot of time on on SOTW and I don't think it's really healthy to do so .

·
32,936 Posts
bobsax said:
My fault . I could have sworn it was posted under the tenor mouthpiece forum

Dr G you seem like a real pain in the *** .
Thanks, Bob. "Net wisdom" such as you share gives me real heartburn.

·
13,026 Posts
I think he was commenting on the generalization on what pros pick for mouthpieces. People pick what feels good. Some like metal others don't. I have metal and HR pieces and material has little bearing on what I play at any given time. I play metal on alto and HR on tenor these days. It has more to do with the sound produced and fatigue issues.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Carl H. said:
Cogito Ego Sum. I think I am great.

Carpe Per Diem. Seize the Pay!

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Coctor said:
Hi,
I play Selmer III tenor with a Jumbo Java T75. It sounds great, very easy to produce tone and very forgiving in the low notes.
The only problem I have is that sometimes it's just too bright. I like that when I preform, but when practicing at home I might prefer something a bit darker.

Any recommandations ?
In response to the original question in the thread, Runyons that are a little darker than the Jumbo Java (in addition to the SR, Finesse, and 22 mentioned above) would include the Custom and the Jaguar. My main tenor MP is a Jag, and I also have an SR that I pull out now and then. The Jag and Custom should fall somewhere between your Jumbo Java and the SR/Finesse/22 in terms of brightness and penetration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to preface this post by saying I don't know anything about the Runyon pieces.

But, if you're worried about a "bright" or edgy sound at home, try playing into a closet full of clothes. Your sound will be "darkened" or muffled so you won't drive your neighbors/housemates quite as insane (great for NYC and appartment living).

Plus, as an added bonus, when you step back into the room, your sound will be bigger!

Basically, if you can make a LIVELY sound in a DEAD space, imagine what you can do in a live sounding space!

I'm with Dr. G, though, as far as his first post goes. I HIGHLY recommend that you practice on the piece you play on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts