Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEWBIE HERE!! Hey everybody, a great friend of mine Peter Doakly and a fantastic sax player died about three years ago of throat cancer. He played the sax for about 40 years and as long as I knew him, he would roar a lot. I am not talking about humming in key to produce a slightly rough sound in the upper register I am talkig a bout a growl in the throat. I can do it but it is very irritating. I never knew him to be a smoker. It may be possible he was in his youth. Any of you players doctors? Think it is possible the cancer resulted from years of stress to the throat from growling????? Just a hunch!!!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Plain "No".
Perhaps it was the smoke in all the clubs he played. Even rock singers don´t get cancer from singing-only singers knots on their vocal cords.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Second opinion: Plain "No". I'll go with the smoke in most cases.

·
Banned
624 Posts
rawrrr:cat: do not be afraid rawrrring is a perfectly safe thing to do around friends :) :cat:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,313 Posts
Probably not cancer, but serious vocal nodes, yes. Ned Rothenberg had to have surgery for it. Growling (which I do all the time, mind you) slaps your vocal chords around badly, and causes scar tissue to build up. In an extreme case, I could imagine such damage ceding to opportunistic disease like metasticized cancer, but again, this seems unlikely. Talk to your doctor if you're concerned, and do a little research on "vocal nodes".

·
Banned
624 Posts
Jason DuMars said:
Probably not cancer, but serious vocal nodes, yes. Ned Rothenberg had to have surgery for it. Growling (which I do all the time, mind you) slaps your vocal chords around badly, and causes scar tissue to build up. In an extreme case, I could imagine such damage ceding to opportunistic disease like metasticized cancer, but again, this seems unlikely. Talk to your doctor if you're concerned, and do a little research on "vocal nodes".
You're supposed to never, ever do it if you're a singer. I never listened... (maybe thats why I'm not a singer. :D)

I would stop if it hurts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,311 Posts
I agree with probably not, but stop short of giving an unequivocal no. The reason being, cancer is caused by something irritating the body. e.g. Lip cancer can be caused by the irritation of a pipe stem rubbing against the lips. Therefore it seems not too far fetched that roaring, an unnatural effect, caused by an unnatural state or use of the vocal cords could be an irritant causing cancer. It's probably highly unlikely but it could be a contributing circumstance, at least.

·
Banned
624 Posts
jazzbluescat said:
I agree with probably not, but stop short of giving an unequivocal no. The reason being, cancer is caused by something irritating the body. e.g. Lip cancer can be caused by the irritation of a pipe stem rubbing against the lips. Therefore it seems not too far fetched that roaring, an unnatural effect, caused by an unnatural state or use of the vocal cords could be an irritant causing cancer. It's probably highly unlikely but it could be a contributing circumstance, at least.
A good reason to use extra soft toilet paper.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
A few months ago, I was working on roaring as loud as I could on my 10M and I think I swallowed copious amounts of air which resulted in incredibly severe gas pains...it felt like I had broken ribs (or appendicitis) and took several days to go away. Overall, the whole experience was incredibly humiliating. I only practice at low volumes on the 10M now...which is probably better for everyone.

·
Forum Contributor 2007 Distinguished SOTW Member
820 Posts
The risk factor for throat cancer are smoking and drinking although this is certainly not always the case.

·
Banned
624 Posts
spiderjames said:
The risk factor for throat cancer are smoking and drinking although this is certainly not always the case.
which means, kids, don't smoke lots of cigars and drink lots of moonshine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
actually, I am an ENT doc.
Throat cancer (laryngeal cancer) is due to smoking (including second-hand) and alcohol in about 92% of cases. Chronic irritation (most often reflux disease), and genetic factors likely are to blame in non-smokers.
Loud growling likely involves the false vocal cords and may cause pain but not true vocal cord nodules (as can happen with singers....and teachers....etc)

·
Registered
6 Posts
No!:? I never heard that one before however you can get throat cancer by smoking not trying too sound nasty also by oral sex :shock:and maybe if its genetic in your family

·
Registered
71 Posts
No!:? I never heard that one before however you can get throat cancer by smoking not trying too sound nasty also by oral sex :shock:and maybe if its genetic in your family
Wow! Way to go over the line buddy. It's a good thing that this isn't a family site or anything like that... (said sarcastically).

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
cancer is caused by something irritating the body. e.g. Lip cancer can be caused by the irritation of a pipe stem rubbing against the lips
cancer is not caused by 'something irritating the body.' and 'lip cancer' is not really a correct term. skin cancer maybe, but even that is not caused by something rubbing against you. seriously. look it up on wikipedia or something...

i wouldn't hesitate in saying that roaring is absolutely not the cause.

·
Seeker Of A Clever Title.
3,739 Posts
A few death metal singers (don't think that's the appropriate term though) have gotten some illness, don't know if it was cancer or not, but something bad from screaming too much. Lol that was just a very vague sentence.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
A few death metal singers (don't think that's the appropriate term though) have gotten some illness, don't know if it was cancer or not, but something bad from screaming too much. Lol that was just a very vague sentence.
It probably has nothing to do with drugs, jager bombs, and strobe lights and too many subwoofers.

·
Banned
956 Posts
I would also consider chemicals. Many chemicals are carsinogenic. What about the pesticide in cane reeds? Chemicals in rubber or metal mouthpieces? Teflon or other chemicals in the actual make of the saxophone?

Unfortunately, though, just about anything can kill you these days. Why starve yourself of a good sax setup, when you could die after being hit by car in a freak accident? The spice of life is to enjoy it however you want, and just hope you live a long time. Everything in life is a gamble so you can only do your best.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
Wow! Way to go over the line buddy. It's a good thing that this isn't a family site or anything like that... (said sarcastically).
Not over the line. A little strange, and no basis in research...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts