Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say, hypothetically, someone soaked their reeds for a little too long when they were first breaking them in, and that their reeds sounded pretty DOA the next day since they were somewhat waterlogged. Is it possible to salvage these reeds, or would the act of drying them out all the way ruin their lifespans?

Asking for a friend, of course.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,493 Posts
Yes, if you let them dry they should be fine. I did this experiment inadvertently when I tried out the "reedjuvinate" method of keeping reeds damp in a closed container. Some players (maybe in very dry climates) find this works well, but for me the reeds played dull as though they were waterlogged. I used several reeds for this, including some very good ones. Once I took them out of the container and let them dry out, they were fine. Best to put them in a (ventilated) reed holder to keep the tips from warping.

I still get them damp by briefly putting them in water before playing them, but let them dry between playing sessions.

p.s. And no, I don't find that letting a reed dry shortens its lifespan. Maybe it's possible that keeping a reed wet will extend its life, but I don't like how they respond when 'waterlogged', and I doubt anyone has done a rigorous scientific experiment to find out it they last longer that way.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,753 Posts
Let them dry out and try them.
+1

I teach a statistics course in which students have to write basic analyses using the R programming language. This course is hands-on and interactive, which means that they've almost always got the software open and a command-line and programming environment immediately available.

I'm amazed at how often I nonetheless get questions like "what happens if I call [some particular function] with [some particular argument]?". Try it!!!

Like, I could tell you, but wouldn't you find it much more convincing/fulfilling to find out on your own?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,493 Posts
Try it!!!

Like, I could tell you, but wouldn't you find it much more convincing/fulfilling to find out on your own?
+1.
While it does give us the opportunity to talk, speculate, and share our own experience, the fact is, with a lot of these things, you simply have to find out for yourself.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
O oversaw reeds all the time, I let them dry out, wet them enough the next time and we're off, just as good as the day before.

Reactions: Sacks Of Phones

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Me too, especially when I'm introducing some new ones into the rotation - I put a bunch of reeds in a glass of water to soak - it's easy to get distracted and come back two or three hours later to see a glass with a couple really really wet reeds.

I just let them dry off, have never noticed any real difference.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
As a service to SOTW members only, to save on recycling costs, you can send your over-soaked reeds to me... I will see they are properly disposed of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts