Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I have played a lot of this sax but recently it started to get leaks. I have played on my other horns and they play fine, so I am positive that this sax has a problem. I fixed a few obvious leaks then I shined a light down the inside of the horn and pressed all the keys down, but no visible leaks. When I am playing I can play left hand notes fine( a little stuffy) like G A B but I can not play clean notes that include left hand like F E D(very stuffy). Does anyone have any do it yourself advice besides going to maintenance shop?
Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
Check your neck octave pad. Is it the slightest little bit open and leaking?
If so , carefully!!, (don't act like the Hulk,) bend the octave lever ever so slightly down, so it now seals.
Also ...
take a q-tip and apply old english oil (Yellow Bottle)to your pads to restore the leather. Your compression will increase so much, you won't believe it! good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,358 Posts
A single little leak high up on the horn will make response increasingly difficult as you go down. To find leaks you really need a leak light--a light source inside the horn--it is really not enough to simply shine a light down the bore and expect to find small leaks by the reflected light. You might also have misadjusted clutches, so that one key might not be closing completely when it is pressed down by another key. Make sure you check for leaks using normal fingerings, and not just by holding keys down individually. Also have a good look at the condition of the pad surfaces.

Toby

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
A leak light is best for diagnosis.

However you could try.... While you are trying to play, get another person to squeeze shut the keys that your fingers do not directly contact, especially the G# key, and the F" key immediately below it (above the F key).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts