Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always want to give my horn a wash in a bucket filled with warm water and soaps but afraid it will damage the pads. I've never done it.

Would I damage the pads if I wash it that way?

Whats the best way to maintain the finish?

I always wipe it and polish it using polishing cloth without any chemicals. Sometime I wet the polishing cloth a bit (microfibre) to get rid of stuborn saliva stain or condensation stain but i cant reach the areas under rods or those areas I cant reach.

Any suggestion please

Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
yikes

No no No
the proper way is too send it through the car wash so they can spray the wax on it
seriously your horn is only new once and your going to have to learn to live with it don't wash it you'll serioulsy damage it

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I agree with EastCoastGhost. If you want it to stay new forever don't play it. I know that sounds harsh but....
Enjoy the horn, q-tips work really well for the extreme hard spots.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
jmm1713, did your Q-tips ever come undone after use? I had that problem, when I was working around mechanisms, and they came undone and I would have to pick the fibers out.

~Carbs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,148 Posts
Not only the pads, but your springs will likely be ruined and when water gets between your hinge tubes and rods it will rust and sieze them together. The good old cotton swab as mentioned above is best!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
mjs10 said:
I always want to give my horn a wash in a bucket filled with warm water and soaps but afraid it will damage the pads. I've never done it.

Would I damage the pads if I wash it that way?
By immersing your sax in water, you will not only decrease the life of the pads but you can also end up with RUST in the pivot screws and rods causing all kinds of mechanical problems.

A long soft bristle paint brush can get between the mechanisms to loosen debris that is lodged there. That followed by blowing using the blower attachment of a shop vac is effective.

You can buy long Q tips with wooden shafts that are firmer than reqular Q tips. Using one of these lightly coated with Pledge followed by a dry one is a good way to clean hard to reach areas.

In most cases lots of gunk between the keys is caused by someone who doesn't know what they are doing applying too much oil to the keys while they are on the instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
The proper way to care for your finish also depends on your horn. See, for example, http://saxforte.com/accessories/care/polishing_cloths/polishing_cloths.html. I'm not citing Saxforte to endorse them (beyond my few successful purchases), but they were the first site that clued me into the fact that you need to match the cleaning agent to the finish. With some horns, any polish will hurt the finish. For example, with the Keilwerth Shadow, microfiber cloth only is the recommended regime.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Carbs said:
I thought so...I never wash the sax but I give the neck a nice run of warm water from the tap as suggested by yamaha manual. And clean or dry it asap.

Where can i get this q-tips?? Its quite hard to get sax stuff and accesories here in Australia, not many music shops sell them. I even need to order a cleaning swab for 1 week. Any online shop recommended?

Thanks heaps

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Mjs10: Qtips are a USA brand name for cotton swabs as pictured below.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Timeeeeeeehh!!!!!!

Been there done that - the better part of ten years ago.

NO.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,584 Posts
You would be surprised at what people do with their horns.

Two years ago there was a young lady in 6th grade flute section that had band right after lunch. Four weeks into the class the flute had the aroma of rotten chocolate milk so she ran the entire flute and case through the DISH WASHER!!!!

The rental insurance wouldn't cover the damage, so the parents had to buy the flute and pay for the repairs. At least the girl was smart enough to quit at the end of the semester!

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bandmommy thats just a pure igonarant.

OHHH THATS WHAT Q TIPS!!! Omg thats what I call an ear cleaner or the good old cotton bud hahahahaaha, i also use this thing sometime but its easy to bend so I ended up using few of em and my wife yaps everytime she sees me doing that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pledge

I have an old King Super 20 with most of its lacquer in-tact. I use pledge and a very soft cloth (an old undershirt works nicely) to keep the finish shiny. I have read several threads on this site recommending Pledge for "gloss" lacquered saxophones (not necessarily for matted finishes) and can attest to the fact that I have not seen any degradation in the finish from using this product.

Q-tips / cotton buds / ear cleaners work well for getting into tight areas but do be careful as the cotton ends will catch on springs leaving some of their white cottony goodness behind.

I'm sure plain warm water on a soft cloth won't hurt anything either. As others have pointed out, avoid getting the springs, posts, and pads too wet. If you do, be sure to dry them out thoroughly before returning the sax to its case.

Good luck and save the bucket for washing the car :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pledge

I have an old King Super 20 with most of its lacquer in-tact. I use pledge and a very soft cloth (an old undershirt works nicely) to keep the finish shiny. I have read several threads on this site recommending Pledge for "gloss" lacquered saxophones (not necessarily for matted finishes) and can attest to the fact that I have not seen any degradation in the finish from using this product.

Q-tips / cotton buds / ear cleaners work well for getting into tight areas but do be careful as the cotton ends will catch on springs leaving some of their white cottony goodness behind.

I'm sure plain warm water on a soft cloth won't hurt anything either. As others have pointed out, avoid getting the springs, posts, and pads too wet. If you do, be sure to dry them out thoroughly before returning the sax to its case.

Good luck and save the bucket for washing the car :D

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I was once playing in a show, and at half time an idiot spilt a cup of sugary, milky tea over the mechanism of my baritone.

I know that the pivots were well-oiled, so they were pretty safe.

Considering the better of two evils, and having only a minute to spare, I took the instrument outside and poured hot water over it, before playing in the second half. No harm done, but then I was ready to strip the instrument down at the slightest hint of harm done.

(Timeeeh was fun. What a character. Naive, but so refreshingly persistent, never accepting a superficial answer. Is a link to that thread possible?)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts