Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mostly play tenor (Conn 10m) in a couple of bands, but started on alto 40+ years ago and still play around with them. I have acquired a Dorfler and Jorka alto (Keilwerth clone) and it has a lot more resistence than other altos I've played. Using the same mouthpiece setup, I can tell a noticable difference between the DJ and an old Olds Parisian Ambassador, the latter being so much easier to get the reed vibrating at all volumes. I get a good tone out of the DJ and it subtones well all the way to low Bb, but still takes a lot of air support on the reed even when playing softly and lots of air through the horn to play it loud with a big voice. There is resistance even playing the palm keys so it's not just a leaking horn. I switched necks between the horns but it didn't fix the problem. While I can adapt to this, it's kinda tough coming from the Conn tenor that is so free blowing. Any ideas on how to lower the resistance of the horn, or even what causes it in the first place? Currently using a Meyer 5m, also have a Brilhart 3* mouthpiece. Are there other pieces that would lower the resistance? I know I can get softer reeds, currently using Vandoren Java 3, but have used 2 1/2s with the same result and much softer would probably sound horrible on these pieces. The horn has pretty low key heights, but not much adjustment without bending the keys and I doubt that would help. Suggestions and comments welcome.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
have a tech check the key heights to see if the notes are venting enough. could have a pinhole leak around your octave pips or palm keys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
resistance

I have an Amati (Series 1 Keilwerth) stencil that is very free blowing, as well as a Conn 6M. A buffet SDA is very free blowing with a thick lush tone. I tried a new Andre Bardot alto a month ago and found that really free blowing. Its a discontinued made Tawain student horn that impressed me.

Have you tried wrapping teflon tape around the tenon of the neck and inserting it? It can be leaking if the neck or receiver is slightly out of round.

I find Selmers, modern keilwerths, Yanis,resistant for what I prefer. I need a free blowing alto because my jaw joint has a few issues. A neck angle from a Conn can add pressure on the joint for me, on a modern pro horn its the natural resistance that I do not like, despite the fantastic neck angle.

Gloger makes necks that can overcome resistance issues if you want to spend $$$.

My tenor is a Buffet Dynaction that is amazingly freeblowing and lush. Many players deal with transitional pressure and thus tuning problems between saxes.

·
2,486 Posts
what is the teflon neck tube thing all about, i do not understand it at all, with the shrink tubes and all that, can anyone explain?

·
2,228 Posts
Teflon tape is used by plumbers, and many musicians have a role of it in their case at all times. It is duct tape for musicians. :D It can be very thin and bonds to itself under a bit of pressure. If there is a small leak in the neck receiver, or the tenon is out of round, teflon tape may fix the leak until a tech can look at it. It really is tape, just very thin tape.
It has nothing to do with shrink tubing used by electricians.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts