Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be flying US airways from the US to Europe with my tenor sax in tow in the coming week. Looking at their website, it looks as though my tenor case is too large to carry on. Even my form fitting Gator case is too big I think.

They say that the maximum size is up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm)

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/baggage/baggagepolicies.html

How strict are they with these size restrictions? I am not sure I want to check my tenor.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Just bring it. I fly all the time with my tenor.

It will fit in the overhead somewhere. If not, there is a coat closet where it can be placed. As a last resort, ask the flight attendants to wait until all other luggage is packed under the plane and put your saxophone on top. I haven't had to put it in the baggage compartment yet after many flights carrying on a tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,907 Posts
I'm flying to Europe in early June for a tour and am wondering the same thing... scared out of my mind actually about it. The general consensus seems to be that I will be able to take it on with me, and if they resist then I should put up a huge stink about the value of the horn etc. Fingers crossed! Let us know how your situation turns out.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Best plan of action is to be polite as possible & always wear a smile.

Airline staff put up with many angry passengers. Be a "diamond in the rough." :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
I would suggest that you take the tenor in the contoured case (I've done it several times with tenors), the rectangular one is too massive and clearly oversize. Are you talking Gator ABS? (looks more compact than the fabric Protec type). Even though it's over the dimensions (even a contoured alto case is longer than what most airlines give as max dimensions for cabin luggage) it should work.... provided your other hand luggage is not a massive briefcase.

If you go on tour you should try and get a Calzone/Anvil IMO and you wouldn't worry about checking it in.

If someone is very strict at the counter or the gate you can politely tell them that you are surprised this airline doesn't allow it and you are always flying with your horn in hand given that it's too fragile to check it in.

Good luck!

·
1,127 Posts
It also never hurts to just call the airline ahead to see what they have to say. That way if all else fails (being polite, turning on the charm, hoping for the best, etc.) you can say you contacted the airline before showing up and they said it was ok (assuming they OK it).

I did that once with an antique sewing machine (not of the treadle variety!). A flight attendant gave me grief while bringing it on, but once I said I ok'd it with the airline, she very quickly changed her tune.

Though looking back...it is a little scary to think what could have happened if that extremely heavy machine would have liberated itself from the overhead compartment!

·
2,319 Posts
I just returned from Belfast, Northern Ireland, flying US Airways as well as Air Lingus and BMI and I took my alto just in case which fits either under the seat or in the overhead bin. However, as stated above, my friend had his acoustic guitar with him and out of the 6 times we boarded flights, he was allowed to put it in the overhead bin 4 times, but two times they took it from him as we boarded and had it waiting for him just as we got off the plane at the door of the plane. There was no damage done. We flew from AZ to Philadelphia to Brussels to Dublin going, and returning Dublin to London to Philadelphia to Phoenix. Two of the 4 US Airways boardings he couldn't take it on board. They were the flights going to Philadelphia and coming from Philadelphia.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here is the link to TSA regarding instruments as carry on.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1235.shtm

My advice is to print a copy and take it with you. Each airport is different and the employee experience level varies. Always stay calm and if you must check it, do so at the gate just before you board the plane, makeing sure you take the mouthpiece/reeds and flute out of the case. Put your information and band logo on the case. Take the mouthpiece/reeds and flute out of the case.

Good Luck,

JP

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
and if they resist then I should put up a huge stink about the value of the horn etc.
A good way to get them to hate you and your horn.

It all depends on the airlaine and the current (constantly changing) rules.

I didn't even bother trying to bring my new Rampone tenor back from germany on a plane as I'm used to European airlines and how uncompromising they can be. Once you've heard a couple of horror stories, you tend to ignore all the people who got lucky, as a horn is often so precious it's not worth the risk. having said all that there are some agreements that airlines have with the MU if you are a member.

·
30,102 Posts
I have a custom case that is a little bigger than a Walt Johnson and it fits my tenor and EWI. I take in as a carry-on. However, there have been times where I've had to basically convince the Gate personnel to let me take it on due to it being a vintage instrument. This is precisely what the U.S. Senate Bill S.223 is trying to resolve. Here is a link to the bill to where you can electronically sign a petition in favor of the musicians to have a "uniformed policy" for ALL airlines to allow musical instruments on the airplane as carry-on's. http://afl.salsalabs.com/o/5873/c/777/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1924
That's great, but why would all airlines need to comply with US law? I can't see that washing with Ryanair.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
That's great, but why would all airlines need to comply with US law? I can't see that washing with Ryanair.
I would rather swim than get on one of those livestock carriers again.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
I've gone to and from Germany and Italy on Ryanair and had no problem carrying my tenor on board.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Check out this article on flying with a baritone (last part of article.)

If it is possible to do this (apparently it is) then carrying on a tenor is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've gone to and from Germany and Italy on Ryanair and had no problem carrying my tenor on board.
I am amazed ? - what did you say? , and how much extra did it cost? - the real problem is the uncertainty involved, the dice are laoded against us, and the usual default seems to be "Hold Baggage " or lose the flight ! - not exactly excellence in customer service - but Ryanair doesn't believe in customer service , just fleecing clients - at least you know what bottorm line will be, if an appeal to individual staff fails !

Blowhard2

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I would rather swim than get on one of those livestock carriers again.
I am amazed ? - what did you say? , and how much extra did it cost? - the real problem is the uncertainty involved, the dice are laoded against us, and the usual default seems to be "Hold Baggage " or lose the flight ! - not exactly excellence in customer service - but Ryanair doesn't believe in customer service , just fleecing clients - at least you know what bottorm line will be, if an appeal to individual staff fails !

Blowhard2
Thank you. This is the main reason for my comment, and I had neither a horn, nor a long flight.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
I never had any problem taking my tenor on board. I have a Winter case, which looks small. On budget airlines sometimes you have to pay for an extra seat, but that never happened to me on a long distance flight.
Gary, I'm surprised by your Ryanair story, as they have a bad rep among musicians. There's even a facebook group about it. Did you just walk on with your horn?

·
30,102 Posts
We get these discussions quite frequently, and we always get people saying "I got my tenor on a filght by talking nicely at the gate, so you can to", and although it is nice to hear these anecdotes, I think it's dangerous to assume that is what happens across the board.

Security levels and airline rules are changing constantly and without warning. If you get an obliging person at the gate then you are lucky, but very often they will just apply the rules, however polite and rationally you discuss the situation.

The only sure way to be safe with your horn is to speak to the airline in advance and get the information from them, and rely on that rather than a few anecdotes on a saxophone forum.

"Sorry sir, you cannot bring that bag on the plane"

"Yes I can, I was told on SOTW that it would be OK"

·
30,102 Posts
Gary, I'm surprised by your Ryanair story
Me too, but I believe Easyjet could be as bad or worse.

Flying back from France we got to the gate and my carry on weighed 10.4 kilos. I was told it was too late to pay £30 for the extra .4 kilos so I would have to take it back and check it in.

Luckily my wife's bag was only 9.3k, but they still wouldn't allow us on with the two of our bags together weighing under 20k, so we unpacked the bags and spread out a few choice items of underwear on the floor of the gate lounge and swapped them around, reweighed the bags until the jobsworths were satisfied.

Those aren't the kind of people you can reason with.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Gary, I'm surprised by your RyanAir story, as they have a bad rep among musicians... Did you just walk on with your horn?
Yes.
I went from Hahn (which RyanAir misleadingly calls "Frankfurt") to someplace in the countryside in the region of Milano (which RyanAir misleadingly calls "Milan") and back. I had no problems with my tenor. I subscribe to the law of carrying your sax as unobtrusively as possible (in my case, a black, very compact VGV slung over my back on the opposite side of the ticket agents), and carrying myself and acting like a true professional (musician). Add a smile and congeniality.

The problems I had with RyanAir, were location and connecting transportation (eg buses and trains to the "real" Milan") and the cattle call situation at the air terminal on my return trip. The Hahn end of the trip was just fine. The "Milano" end was a mess. But nothing regarding carring my tenor on board.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts