Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
520 Posts
I found that it stretches out after a while. The fit is a bit better out of the box with the regular STM, but it works with the NY STM, and after a while will stretch to accommodate the wider circumference (silver is quite ductile).

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
I found that it stretches out after a while. The fit is a bit better out of the box with the regular STM, but it works with the NY STM, and after a while will stretch to accommodate the wider circumference (silver is quite ductile).
Aren't they just silver plated brass.
I think they bend themselves to the shape from tightening the screws.
Make sure you get it started off right or they can bend unevenly. They'll break if you get heavy handed on the tightening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rather than bending a fine ligature, I’d buy a new one for the mpc. Ligatures aren’t that expensive, i guess if you’d invest some money, you could get a lig, that works on every mpc and has no influence on the desired tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,297 Posts
Rather than bending a fine ligature, I'd buy a new one for the mpc. Ligatures aren't that expensive, i guess if you'd invest some money, you could get a lig, that works on every mpc and has no influence on the desired tone.
You just described the 404 ligature.

I found the process of bending the ligature to fit a Link was:

1. Put the ligature on the mouthpiece.
2. Tighten the screws.
3. Never think about the ligature again.

The process was remarkably similar fitting it onto a stainless Berg bari mouthpiece, funnily enough.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts