Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Selmer 404 seems to be popular but I heard it's a difficult fit on a NY Link. Can I bend it to make it work or should I look for a different lig?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,791 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
482 Posts
I found that it stretches out after a while. The fit is a bit better out of the box with the regular STM, but it works with the NY STM, and after a while will stretch to accommodate the wider circumference (silver is quite ductile).

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I found that it stretches out after a while. The fit is a bit better out of the box with the regular STM, but it works with the NY STM, and after a while will stretch to accommodate the wider circumference (silver is quite ductile).
Aren’t they just silver plated brass.
I think they bend themselves to the shape from tightening the screws.
Make sure you get it started off right or they can bend unevenly. They’ll break if you get heavy handed on the tightening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rather than bending a fine ligature, I’d buy a new one for the mpc. Ligatures aren’t that expensive, i guess if you’d invest some money, you could get a lig, that works on every mpc and has no influence on the desired tone.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not that it matters, but are you talking a vintage NY Link pr the modern USA “NY”?
This is a new NY STM Link. The stock lig is annoying with all its shifting around. I want a solid firm lig. Not looking to influence the tone, just want something that works better than stock.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
This is a new NY STM Link. The stock lig is annoying with all its shifting around. I want a solid firm lig. Not looking to influence the tone, just want something that works better than stock.
amen! the 404 or Rovner are your best choices.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,767 Posts
Rather than bending a fine ligature, I’d buy a new one for the mpc. Ligatures aren’t that expensive, i guess if you’d invest some money, you could get a lig, that works on every mpc and has no influence on the desired tone.
You just described the 404 ligature.

I found the process of bending the ligature to fit a Link was:

1. Put the ligature on the mouthpiece.
2. Tighten the screws.
3. Never think about the ligature again.

The process was remarkably similar fitting it onto a stainless Berg bari mouthpiece, funnily enough.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,910 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,910 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just did a quick search and the first hit was WWBW in stock.
Tried that site, couldn't find it.

Managed to find one in a store in Canada. So I'm most likely going to order that one. Am wondering if the Francois Louise Lig might be a better choice though.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
My find showed the photo but the detail did not confirm the size number as 404. So WWBW does not appear to be a source at this time. Try ebay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts