Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm playing this solo. its dogs of war by pink floyd but the saxophonist is dick parry. now i know my altissimo and growling and virbato but could someone tell me how he makes that sound in the very beginning long note and then the 'horse noise' on the ending altissimo notes. it sounds to me that he is doing abnormal vibrato and going down almost chromatically. but i'm lost and confused on how to do it. i have the abnormal vibrato down but i'm trying to mimic the change of notes. could someone help me as to what he's doing to produce those sounds? (oh and i know he's using a metal mouthpiece thats what im using too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPFJDVKpB7s

thank you. :treble:

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
He is performing a really wide fast "Jaw " vibrato while going down chromatically.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@king koeller yeah but how to i get it to sound so smooth like the changing of keys. is he doing anything special with his hands? you cant hear the distinct change of note it just slides down.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
@king koeller yeah but how to i get it to sound so smooth like the changing of keys. is he doing anything special with his hands? you cant hear the distinct change of note it just slides down.
He has great fingering technique! Just like John Coltrane had incredible fingering technique.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
yes but i need to know this technique how does he do it? is there a glissando involved? whats goin on
He's just changing notes while keeping the wide vibrato. That's it. I can hear the change of notes. The vibrato obscures it but it's there. In the beginning, it's just a D blues scale. F D C Ab G F. In the altissimo, it sounds to me like F D C A F.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@agent27 thank you! could you transpose those notes you gave me to alto? i'm playing a transposition of dogs of war on alto but do not have that part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts