Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've played alto sax for four years now, and I'm thinking about getting a soprano to play. I'm kinda overwhelmed bu the brands and the different horns. Can anyone suggest a certain good sax for a reasonable price? I would like a good quality one that has a great sound.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
A used Vito (made by Yanagisawa) would be a good,well built horn with good intonation, or for that matter a Yanagisawa. Even though they are the same horn, the Yani's sell for a little more. The early ones (70's) are based on the Mark VI and play well, if you can get accustomed to the palm key set up (same as the Mark VI.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What is your price range? I've been really happy with my Antigua 590 that I got several years ago from Dave Kessler (looks like it's now called the "SS4290")

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I've played most of them over the last two years at different music shops and sax symposiums. I have only found two that I liked....my 1928 Buescher and a modern copper bodied (I think) Yanagisawa.

·
Registered
575 Posts
For price, new Antiguas are tough to beat. There are some good used horns out there, but it's so tough to find a used horn that isn't beat up in some way. A new Antigua will play like you want it to right away. Mine hasn't seen the shop since I got it 3 years ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,434 Posts
Bauhaus Walstein AI pink bronze! (curved!)..........best value for money for me

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,610 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I've played alto sax for four years now, and I'm thinking about getting a soprano to play. I'm kinda overwhelmed bu the brands and the different horns. Can anyone suggest a certain good sax for a reasonable price?
Not easy. I used to use a Buescher True Tone which was lovely but had intonation issues with the mouthpiece I liked. The one I use now for most session work is the Bauhaus Walstein, a great little horn with all the character of the best vintage horns, but modern keywork. I have a couple of soundclips, here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZtgBaUNvuY

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
+1 on the Antigua. The sop is my main instrument and I love my Antigua. I've had it going on four years and it was used when I bought it from a SOTW member. And other than a sticky pad or two, I haven't had a moments trouble out of it. With the right mouthpiece, it's a sweat wonderful horn. If I needed another one, I wouldn't hesitate to call Dave Kessler and buy a new one.

And to save a little, here are two on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antigua-Winds-P...266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a06ef01b2

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Antigua-Win...701?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a60c5089d

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you are looking for a new horn then I think the recommendations made above are good ones. for vintage I'd also go with the Buescher True-Tone. I bought my 1927 TT sop from my sax teacher almost 20 years ago and it has never needed any further adjustments in all that time - it still plays great!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I continue to enjoy my Jupiter 947. I sometimes see the 847 come up on ebay and I have also played one of those and like them. In my opinion, these are great sopranos you could pick up slightly used for less than $1000.00

·
Banned
864 Posts
I continue to enjoy my Jupiter 947. I sometimes see the 847 come up on ebay and I have also played one of those and like them. In my opinion, these are great sopranos you could pick up slightly used for less than $1000.00
Not that this means anything good or bad, but if I were considering either a Bauhaus Walstein or an Antigua, I would want to know ahead of time that they were made in Mainland China--and in both cases they are. Supposedly the highest-end Antiquas may be made in Taiwan, where the parent company is located, but the rest are made in China and all BW's originate from a Chinese concern.

However, if you're looking for a sop for a "reasonable price" these may be your only option as sops from the so-called "Big 4" are getting to be cost prohibitive.

Another good option as someone said would be a used Yanagisawa, say a 901 or something older.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I htink I might be considering the antiguas.

Can anyone post a link to yanagisawas that are good?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
+2 on the Antigua Winds sopranos (500 series Yani copies and newer). Mine was set up by Chuck Kessler when purchased new from them (over 7 years ago) and hasn't needed any major adjustment since. I play it at least 4 or 5 lengthy sessions weekly. That is saying something!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,242 Posts
I think that all the yani's are good. For soprano though, I prefer Renee Fleming and Debra Voight.:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,831 Posts
i own a antigua ss4290 silver, and a bauhaus walstein, the antigua has a more "cutting sound to it!..if thats the right word, but they are both good for the money..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Other wise players have recommended the Antigua Winds soprano...I agree!
If you will do a search here on the forum you'll see the Antigua get excellent reviews and remarks. Go to their website and browse the different models.

Then of course come the mouthpiece selection...good luck!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,242 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts