Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently acquired a Gregory Master Hollywood 20M mouthpiece to play with my Conn Shooting Star Tenor. Late '50s Shooting Star. It is an incredible match for the horn...Unfortunately my ligature does not hold my reed very well...The tip of the reed moves side to side.....I'm using a Legere Signature Series Reed.

I thought about trying a metal ligature for a more secure hold on the reed. Any recommendations for a big that would be sized properly for my mouthpiece?

I would appreciate any input.

TY

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TY. I realize that I didn’t indicate that I already use a Rovner. Which Rovner are you using? I will look for it.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
661 Posts
I don't recall which model it is, but it has a metal bracket sort of thing to help keep the reed in place. It looks like the one that is currently being called "Versa."

·
Registered
220 Posts
A standard 2 screw metal lig works fine for me. Also, are you tightening your Rovner enough? When I first got one, I was afraid of overtightening it and my reed moved around. Then I read here that they don't get stretched out, so I tightened it as tight as I could and problem solved.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
The Legere Signatures move around a lot for me on tenor too; reed placement is incredibly important for these, especially with any mouthpiece that has a thin tip rail.

I would look for a ligature that has solid contact with the reed; some kind of a plate or metal contact. Can you try a random two-screw ligature at a local music store and see if it holds the reed better?

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hi,

I recently acquired a Gregory Master Hollywood 20M mouthpiece to play with my Conn Shooting Star Tenor. Late '50s Shooting Star. It is an incredible match for the horn...Unfortunately my ligature does not hold my reed very well...The tip of the reed moves side to side.....I'm using a Legere Signature Series Reed.

I thought about trying a metal ligature for a more secure hold on the reed. Any recommendations for a big that would be sized properly for my mouthpiece?

I would appreciate any input.

TY
I use a two screw Bonade inverted for both my alto and tenor Gregory Masters. It holds all kind of reeds without any issue for me.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the recommendations.

Didn’t want to take a 2 hour drive to a music store that has more than one ligature in stock just to buy a $20 - $50 device. The last random 2 screw ligature I tried was too large for the mpc. I will be testing out your ideas one by one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts