Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
I am an intermediate tenor player and live in a rural area with no teachers. I am interested in some of the
on line courses for Jazz and/or improvisation. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Can you recommend any?
Thanks in advance.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,826 Posts
I've heard the one offered by Berklee through Coursera is quite good. I really want to take it, but haven't had a schedule that lined up with when the course was offered. I believe Lionel Hampton was teaching it. I hope it's still available...it was free!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Gary Burton teaches the Berklee course. I would expect it to be expensive but I'm not sure you're going to find anything better, either.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Google Steve Neff, Bob Reynolds or Tim Price for online lessons.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,826 Posts
Gary Burton teaches the Berklee course. I would expect it to be expensive but I'm not sure you're going to find anything better, either.
You're right it was Gary Burton, but the course was definitely free, as all coursera courses are. They aren't for college credit, just continuing ed for everyone to enjoy. I don't see a date for a new session, but I know I had to pass up on three different start dates within the past two years. it's a 5-6 installment course (weekly?), and you submit recordings for progress notes.

·
Registered
744 Posts
i took the Coursera course from Berklee online. It was free. It is certainly worth taking. I don not feel that it is for beginners.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
317 Posts
Check out Jazz Heaven's Jerry Bergonzi's Creating a Jazz Vocabulary. Vol 1, 2 & 3. Buy Vol 1 to start. A good suplement for the videos would be Bergonzi's "Developing a Jazz Language" Vol 6 of his "Inside improvisation Series". This will keep you busy a while and you will learn at you're own pace. Presented concepts are not difficult to understand but of course you will need to practice to sound good.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I did the Coursera Berkelee Gary Burton course too... free. I definitely recommend taking the class. My understanding is that is a watered down, shortened version of a Berklee online class. I wasn't too impressed with most of the other students - you're supposed to evaluate each others' recordings posted to Soundcloud. Some of these people had absolutely no clue and are evaluating you (so don't take their reviews personally). But there were a few good players that I was able to correspond with about the class assignments to get their ideas on approaching stuff. I did get a few great concepts from Gary that I never heard of before in any lesson or from anyone else.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I like Steve Neff's approach. He has hundreds of videos with PDFs. I would suggest dropping him an email and letting him know where you are at with your performance skills and where you would like to be. Neffmusic

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Randy Hunter offers online lessons, too:

http://www.randyhunterjazz.com/

He has some free content available and you can buy the lessons that interest you "a la carte" or buy a collection of lessons on a particular theme. Great stuff!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
782 Posts
Randy Hunter offers online lessons, too:

http://www.randyhunterjazz.com/

He has some free content available and you can buy the lessons that interest you "a la carte" or buy a collection of lessons on a particular theme. Great stuff!
Thanks for the recommendation, MrBlueNote! Here's a direct link to my jazz improv lessons. Be sure to check out the Stage I-IV packages, but you can also scroll down the page for smaller sets, individual lessons, descriptions, and samples:

http://www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm

Randy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts