Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this mouthpiece the other day, a completely forgotten piece from the very first sax I bought back in 1987, in USA. Can anyone recognise or translate this signature? It's the only branding on the mouthpiece. It's not a particularly amazing mouthpiece, but I'm just curious as to the brand as it's such a cryptic signature. It looks like Tlen M Buueli which seems a pretty unlikely name and doesn't respond to googling. Anyone recognise it?

many thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,422 Posts
yes bruce i actually recently discovered this . i dug out my bass clarinet after many years of it sitting idle. to my dismay i discover i no longer had the wind power for my very open vandy b46. the other mpc -which came with the horn is a bundy and i had never even considered playing it as its -well a bundy. to my great suprise it plays well. much closer tip and just what i need these days. community band starts in a month .

·
Registered
Conn New Wonder 1 Alto & Conn 10M Tenor
212 Posts
Anything special about these mouthpieces? Is it considered a classical or jazz piece? One came with a Shooting Star Alto I got to practice repairs on.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Anything special about these mouthpieces? Is it considered a classical or jazz piece? One came with a Shooting Star Alto I got to practice repairs on.
It's just a solid, good quality, middle of the road, large chambered piece with a pleasant tone. Not bright, not dark. All the ones I've seen are "3" which is on the closed side, so probably a better fit for classical. I played one (bari) on bass sax for a while. It worked pretty well. As far as basic mouthpieces go, I like the tone better than a similar Selmer or Yamaha.

·
Registered
Conn New Wonder 1 Alto & Conn 10M Tenor
212 Posts
It's just a solid, good quality, middle of the road, large chambered piece with a pleasant tone. Not bright, not dark. All the ones I've seen are "3" which is on the closed side, so probably a better fit for classical. I played one (bari) on bass sax for a while. It worked pretty well. As far as basic mouthpieces go, I like the tone better than a similar Selmer or Yamaha.
Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,635 Posts
That particular Geo. M. Bundy was my first attempt at putting an Otto Link facing on what appeared to be an identical chamber shape. If you like the sound of vintage Otto Links, and many people do, this is one of the pieces that can be refaced to get you there. It requires opening up the piece a bit with about the same length of lay. The embossed name, unfortunately, will never get you into the +$500 vintage mouthpiece category. But the sound is the same and they can be just as expressive.

I probably refaced 3 or 4 of these with my Otto Link Slant facing. I still remember that one of them could be played so softly that it amazed me. I couldn't reproduce it on the other pieces. Kind of wish that I still had it, but I've never heard any sax player say that they were looking for a piece that could be played ppppp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts