Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really love the version of Moanin at the end of Moanin Mambo were Ronnie Cuber was a guest with the Mingus Big Band. The song is Moanin Mambo from the album Live in Time and you can find it pretty easily on YouTube and the mambo part begins at around 9:00 in. I don't can want key you transpose it in b flat c or e flat is fine. If anyone would like to help me with it that would be really appreciated because I don't have a good enough ear to transpose yet. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Help you or do it for you? :)

Ronnie Cuber sounds rediculous on that recording..... If you haven't transcribed before you might want to work your way up to this one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Help you or do it for you? :)

Ronnie Cuber sounds rediculous on that recording..... If you haven't transcribed before you might want to work your way up to this one.
Help I guess. I know the basic Moanin melody from transposing before but I'm struggling to get the mambo part. Do you know any of it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Help I guess. I know the basic Moanin melody from transposing before but I'm struggling to get the mambo part. Do you know any of it?
Need a low A Bari or good balance and flexibility!

In concert key, The beginning part of that is in F harmonic minor and is basically arpeggios off of that. Fm going to the low Db like the beginning, then He encloses a Gdim to Cmaj triads. (iidim-V7-i, all day) It repeats this for 12 bars then 1 bar each of Bb, Ab, Gb, and C. On these 4 measures he plays a descending bass line F-Eb-Db-C.

This is kinda from memory from a few years ago...but F harmonic minor is def your answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coincidentally, I just transcribed this this morning, assuming you meant this:
(9:06)

Ronnie is downright funky throughout the whole tune, and especially around the 9 minute mark.
I've transcribed the first two choruses of the mambo section, as those are the main two choruses where the bari is featured before the other instruments take over. The solo will be a much later task, as I'm still learning the art of transcription.

Download a ZIP here!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4vntdq9t58201b/Moanin%27%20Mambo.zip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts