Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me what model Conn this horn is? I am lost.. The guy wants $150.00 for it. He knows nothing about instruments so asking him anything is of no avail. The horn is over 1000 miles away so going in person is not gonna happen. I would greatly appreciate any help. I know you guys on here are the best of the best when it comes to this.. I read your threads all the time and learn so much but there is so much i still don't know.
Thanks and God bless

·
Registered
784 Posts
That guard over the C key, it's not a wireframe.
Did directors come in that style?

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
BobbyC said:
That guard over the C key, it's not a wireframe.
Did directors come in that style?
Absolutely. Conn switched from wire keyguards to sheet metal ones in 1963 for all of their saxophone lines, pro and student alike.

This is just your run of the mill, later era Director or "shooting star" student horn.

I'd pass on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
it looks like a director but at that price, does it really matter? You can't go wrong. And it looks older than 1960 or therabouts when Conn went to Mexico

Perhaps not worth the money over there but they sell for much more over here

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Looks pan american so its a director, ask him what the serial number is but if you cant do your own repairs i wouldn't bother as an overhaul will cost twice its value
Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I have one just about like it.

It usually hangs on the wall. It is a student model from the 1960's. I got this one out of the trash dumpster in front of the band hall back when I was about seventeen. The tone is ok but nothing special. I believe some metal dome resinators might liven it up some. But it is very well made and the brass is very thick.

It's not worth very much and there are better student altos from the same period, such as the Bundy.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
milandro said:
it looks like a director but at that price, does it really matter? You can't go wrong. And it looks older than 1960 or therabouts when Conn went to Mexico

Perhaps not worth the money over there but they sell for much more over here
Milandro,

It has all the characteristics (including sheet metal guards) of a POST 1963 horn. As I mentioned, the key guards went to the sheet metal design in '63 (among other changes), so that pretty well places it well into the era of the move to Nogales.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
serial number

he gave me a serial number of 10661 thats the part that i can't figure out.. such alow serial number. If it was from the late 50 or 60's wouldn't it be like over 500,000?

C

·
0 Posts
A Mexiconn for sure, the later Directors have that sheet metal bell brace in addition to the key guards. P.O.S. . If you want a pre-Nogales Director, they go for $100 to $200 on Ebay.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
markwigginton said:
he gave me a serial number of 10661 thats the part that i can't figure out.. such alow serial number. If it was from the late 50 or 60's wouldn't it be like over 500,000?
Not with the letter before the serial number, which Conn started using around
1963, and which this horn most assuredly has. Here is a break down of the letter/serial number combination and year of manufacture:

1963 C00S0l
1964 C73854
1965 E54106
1966 H31247
1967 K35274
1968 L20454
1969 "M"-Prefix
1970 "N"-Prefix
1971 "P"-Prefix
1972 "R"-Prefix

This horn likely dates between 1963 and 1964.
Relying on the serial number alone, it would date to 1906, and this is NOT a 1906 Wonder Improved model, be assured.

I've been at this awhile, and believe me there is no mistaking this horn for anything other than what it so obviously is, a 1960's 14M Director "shooting star", Nogales era horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
SAXISMYAXE said:
Milandro,

It has all the characteristics (including sheet metal guards) of a POST 1963 horn. As I mentioned, the key guards went to the sheet metal design in '63 (among other changes), so that pretty well places it well into the era of the move to Nogales.
Alright, I thought differently but I am no expert. I once, briefly, had one which looked identical to me (that is in my recollection), it said made in USA. I looked it up at that time and it was 1960 before the move to Nogales. They sell well over here (even bundys II do !). If you can repair it yourself would be worth buying in Holland for that much money, If you have it repaired the repair would cost you 3-4 times the buying price and still place it within its market value.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Enviroguy said:
I have one just about like it.

It usually hangs on the wall. It is a student model from the 1960's. I got this one out of the trash dumpster in front of the band hall back when I was about seventeen. The tone is ok but nothing special. I believe some metal dome resinators might liven it up some. But it is very well made and the brass is very thick.

It's not worth very much and there are better student altos from the same period, such as the Bundy.
I have one of those also.
It's the Conn 50M student model.
Mine needs a little work but my oldest son plays it in school band.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys are awesome

well, a BIG thank you to the sotw knowledge tank. You guys rock! I have decided not to buy the sax and I owe you all big time! Anyone know how to tell whether or not an H Couf is a superba I?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts