1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,808 Posts
Hmm. Well, if it's actually a Conn stencil and it's freshly overhauled & ready to play, $600 or so (where it is as of this post) isn't a bad deal.

But I'm not sure it's a Conn. Doesn't have the "Mercedes" low C key guard; the bottom bow guard isn't your standard Conn-style guard; the G# cluster looks like a cross between an early Buescher or Martin cluster and Conn. But then the Alt. F# key looks like those on pre-Ladyface Conn horns. Conn was putting front-F keys on their horns starting in the early 20's, so that doesn't fit either; though whoever ordered the stencil may have had it left off to save on the cost of manufacture. Anyway, I'm not sold on it as a Conn, but I'm not an expert on their stencils by any means.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
All of the Cont Col saxes I have seen were Conns. Still way too much for a stencil of anything! Pan-Ams didn't have the front F on many and I would put this one at 1935-50.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,808 Posts
All of the Cont Col saxes I have seen were Conns. Still way too much for a stencil of anything! Pan-Ams didn't have the front F on many and I would put this one at 1935-50.
Re: my earlier comment -- yeah on eBay it's too much. You walked into a store and it was perfectly set up & you liked it, sure.

Have you ever seen that double-ridge bow guard thing on Conn stencils?

Actually, I'm often confounded at how much a lot of more active sellers are listing horns for these days when they use a BIN or high reserve, on stencils and everything. You see things like a 6M that admittedly needs work, or the seller admits he doesn't know much about saxophones, and they will stick a $1500.00 BIN on it with a $700.00 starting point. And then it won't sell, but they keep listing & won't back off much on what they're asking. Even if it's a flawless looking 6M VII horn, you sink $1500.00 and shipping, you might sink $500.00 more for an overhaul, and then after that you might not like it anyway. Not being able to play the thing before you buy is part of the cost calculation.

This auction, I suppose, could be a Conn stencil enthusiast who's familiar with the stencil he's looking at and knows what he's gunning for. Or it's just one-off market-irrational bidding behavior. Or the seller asked his buddies to goose the bids!!

·
17,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
....if it's actually a Conn stencil and it's freshly overhauled & ready to play, $600 or so (where it is as of this post) isn't a bad deal.
Good man...you make the sorta argument I like, because as a rehabber myself....it's true. But the market doesn't generally pay attention to things like that.

...ended at $710...$725 shipped. That just seems really astounding to me, even with the mouthpiece :mrgreen: .....oftentimes Chu's in good shape don't even fetch that.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
One of the pics shows a littel grub screw through a post. I'm only aware of Conn doing that.
I think people look at stencils and figure out it's a Conn or Martin or whatever and then assume it's worth as much as a Conn or Martin, which isn't and shouldn't be the case.
(Well, some of the Martins were very decent witha simplified Handcraft mechanism that was an improvement on the earlier mechanism IMHO.)

·
17,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He (she?) relisted it with same Buy Now, and a reserve. I actually contacted the seller this time....just suggested they had the year incorrect, and that likely had done pretty well on the closing bid of the first auction....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts