Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rampone & Cazzani C Melody sax, I don't know the year but under the name there is the following - "C.L.P 2698". I am a novice player and I saw her at a car boot sale, took her into our local music shop and had her re-padded. Using a tenor mouthpiece I can get a nice sound, she has a rough jazz sound that I was looking for when I started playing.

Does anyone know what year it was built in?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
ukebert said:
I had no idea that R&C even made Cmels.
Neither did I - I'm going to need a new entry on my "manufacturers" page - and hopefully a couple of photo's might magically appear (hint, hint....)

Ian, probably early 1900's, could even have been bought in from (e.g.) Buffet, it would be easier to identify any possibilities with some pics - pity Sheffield is so far from Dorset, I'd love to take a look at it.

R & C seem approachable, they have gone through some changes so may not have all the records, but this is a link to their English 'contact us' page.

Good Luck, Alan.

P.S. Ian - welcome to Sax On The Web ! :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Would also love to hear your comments about the tone of the R&C Cmel in comparison to other CMel saxes, if you have had an opportunity to compare ...

W.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
R&C did indeed make C Melodys, although I have never played one. Without doubt it was made in the 1920s. Claudio Zolla at R&C is the most helpful chap; why not email him. From what I have heard their C Mel was not up to the excellent standard of their modern horns...but I am a sucker for R&C horns, I would love to hear it. Does it have front aux F?

·
6,715 Posts
Alan...To the best of my knowledge Rampone & Cazzani never bought in; in fact they seem to have made stencils named Jedson. I have a very early R&C tenor which is engraved "Jedson, made by Rampone & Cazzani. Milan.

·
2,057 Posts
Ian - there's a picture of Capn Bb's 1904 R&C tenor here -
http://cmelodysax.co.uk/wpblog/?p=8

Does your C-Mel have that great curved bell brace ? (from the middle of the sax body to the bell)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Can anyone date my Rampone & Cazzani C Melody sax?
I'm free on Friday night and I like petite Italians, so yes I'll do it!

(Baboom tisch) ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Asking someone to date your sax is like asking someone to date your daughter :)

*psst* go with the sax *psst*

·
6,715 Posts
cmelodysax.
That bell brace has all the rigidity and effectiveness as a length of string.

·
2,057 Posts
Bb - yes, I would guess that, from the construction and angle, more like a wire coat-hanger than a brace....

It was just to see if the R&C C-mel had a similar one, it's a very distinguishing feature !

·
6,715 Posts
cmelodysax.
Good point; but my tenor dates from about 1904 and I cannot believe that between then and the 1920s (C-Melody era) R&C would not have spotted the inadequacy of this brace. Who knows though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Captain,
Would you be interested in a R&C straight alto?:D

Amongst the rarest of Rampone....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,921 Posts
Pictures for the rest of us, please!

·
Registered
315 Posts
R&C straight alto? You serious? I would date her any day :) Pics please :)

·
6,715 Posts
Randall.
Very kind, offer much appreciated. As a tenor player however, not quite my thing...& even sopranos make my thumb ache.
Excellent website; many congrats.

·
3,860 Posts

·
3,860 Posts
Captain, alto was not "my thing" either until I tried a straight alto at Rayburn Music in Boston back in my Berklee days.

Changed my mind about alto!

·
6,715 Posts
Well done Randall....you are more adventurous than I. Just cannot understand how you hold it, or even hear it with an amplified guitar to one's left. Nice looking horn though.

·
3,860 Posts
Captain,
You would be surprised at how well this horn projects. I have played and been heard easily over 40 other sax players in a sax orchestra, and I have also played with a full orchestra as a guest player. It was no problem at all to be heard.

When playing with electronic instruments I do use a wireless mic on the bell...works great.

The straight alto was the first alto that gave me (an unrepentant tenor player) a sound that was closer to my concept of what alto should sound like.

I left Rayburn vowing to someday get one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts