Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody.I just visited a guy today who is selling his unidentified vintage alto. It played very very nice with a typical vintage sound. Looks like a french manufactured sax, yet no a single sign whereabout who made it, except for the Serial Number starting from letter B (see pics). Located in Austria Tirol (if somebody is interested in). What would be the right price for the horn that's playing great but totally unknown?
the neck has a number 32 on it which is repeated on some other keys (right hand palm key cups )

Thank you for your contribution :)

Pics: https://plus.google.com/photos/1050...4819714833?authkey=CLKGjNLy7ZCxwQE&banner=pwa

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
Buffet?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2019
980 Posts
i def agree. pinky cluster and engraving look like buffet. Looks like this is on par with the dynaction model. I'm gonna say a fair price is $700. I used to own a dynaction tenor. I sold it back on ebay and the auction went off around $750. It needed some work too but it played nice.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know but those keyguards look "Selmer-y" to my untrained eye. Thats what my gut is saying.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Not Buffet, most obvious the bell to body brace is wrong, key guards are wrong, engraving is wrong. Definitely not Selmer. Selmer (with some mistakes) copy of unknown origin.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,317 Posts
I would say its a copy. It is very selmerish. The bell/body brace, the keyguards, and the tilting spatula which buffet didnt use, at least not on the SDA.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yeah, my first thought was it was way too Mk VI for it to be anything but an Asian copy (and without any other credentials it's a bit suspect).
Maybe a good one though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The case does not look like a Chinese case.Usually all Chinese saxes have cases with the same locks, handles hinges etc.and the padding inside is atrocious.If the case is similar to cases that come with saxes of reputed makes then the horn cannot be Chinese.The engraving is also too elaborate to be Chinese.Anyway, a second hand sax without a pedigree cannot command a good price even if it is in good condition and sounds great.I would say US400 would be a fair price.HORNLOVER. Colombo

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,080 Posts
I would view it as a horn to play. If it is good, just figure what YOU would pay to have it as for resale, it may be very low. If it is a great player, $500US would be fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,334 Posts
The case does not look like a Chinese case.Usually all Chinese saxes have cases with the same locks, handles hinges etc.and the padding inside is atrocious.If the case is similar to cases that come with saxes of reputed makes then the horn cannot be Chinese.The engraving is also too elaborate to be Chinese.Anyway, a second hand sax without a pedigree cannot command a good price even if it is in good condition and sounds great.I would say US400 would be a fair price.HORNLOVER. Colombo
I disagree with everything you say here. I have seen very high quality vintage Chinese cases - some of which were again copies of French or American cases. Also, I have seen Chinese engraving that was exactly on par with US-engraved Selmers. Market value on a horn in unknown condition of unknown manufacture would seem more in line with $250 US or less.

William, it's definitely not a Grassi. They have real single mount Rings, and non-balanced keywork, as well as distinctive G necks that are meant to look like the Selmer S from a distance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The case does not look like a Chinese case
According to what I know the guy had this horn for 20 years in possession and bought it without the case. This horn is claimed (and looks like ) to be from the 50 - ths. Some of of the parts look quite unique ( thumb hook ). Due to some distinctive details it doesn't look like the manufacturer tried to make a Mark VI copy really. Strap ring is too smal, lever key construction is different, bell ring engraving e.t.c. My guess is its one of those small french producers, existed at the same time as Selmer's SBA and MVI were made. Some of them are unheard of these days. http://www.imgplace.com/viewimg822/844/53img20120217143317.jpg

·
Registered
530 Posts
hi, there is a thread started on 02-27-2007 by saxviking, and your sax looks absolutely identical to the one people would like to know what it is (i can say that because i have one); the only difference is the absence of the two black dots separated by a black line on the G# key on yours (your photos do not show the octave key which may have this black dot...). mine has the serial number is I015, the neck, most of the parts and about all of keys are numbered with two digits (23). again, very well made, and blows fine...

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,316 Posts
I would be surprised if it was Chinese in origin- that lacquer and brass wear looks too old for the state of the art. I would bet it might be a Japanese or (much less likely) Taiwanese copy from 30 years ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
246 Posts
It looks like some chinese saxes that were stamped with the name "Lark". They were made in the late 70's. There was another brand called "Swallow".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tjahns, how much did you pay for your sax? It might indeed be the same one although I didn't notice any dots on the keys.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It is the same sax, and I got it for 400 euro. A ridiculous price if you keep and play it (excellent sound, very good intonation, ergonomics just like a mark vi), bit difficult to sell a no name horn...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts