Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

For the last month I have been plagued by a gargled low D (on tenor). Not sure how to describe but it is like bubbling the tone in an out, like a slow oscillation whenever I play a soft low D (playing it mf or f fixes it). I had my horn checked and anyway I have the problem on 2 tenor horns... At first I thought I had modified my embouchure somehow but then it hit me: about a month ago I started to pay more attention to my tuning and drawn a line on the cork where my JJ HR 7* is in tune... It has to be barely pushed on the cork (it plays quite sharp else).

I pushed it further back in and the gurgling mostly disappear... Is that normal for mouthpiece not deeply on the cork to do this?

Thank you

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried the JJ pieces and I think the hard rubber pieces have too small a chamber. To play it in tune you have to pull way out which messes up the balance of the sax intonation.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now you know why I was inquiring about the Warburton L.A. and the Ponzol M2 SS ;)

But can this "way out" position create the gargle, gurgle (or whathever the right term is :p) ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yamaha YTS-275 & Barone Classic Tenor. My teacher (using his mouthpiece) had no issue on either.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know it is not just me! What was your Aunt mouthpiece that was causing the gargled D?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've had the same problem with my YTS-23 with both a Yamaha 4C and a Selmer S80 C* mouthpiece. I'm relatively new to tenor, having learned on alto and soprano. When I concentrate on proper air support and embouchure, it doesn't tend to happen. As an experiment, I moved the mouthpiece back and forth, and the gurgle was much more prevalent with the piece pulled out on the cork. My horn has been checked, and is fine.
I'm assuming it's more of an air support issue, and the more I play, the less it happens.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I find this mostly on pre-1930s Conns and Bueschers. Correct that the mouthpiece needs to go in more. Problem is.....it may be too sharp. To fix this, either get a different mouthpiece or do what I do....glue a bottle cork inside the bow and it will fix it. This is common as is putting a moutpiece cap or similar down inside the bow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts