Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little friend Chunsoo is having a hard time finding someone to work on his sax.
Even though I REALLY can't afford it, I'm willling to send the tech $50 towards getting this horn put into GPC.

It's breaking my heart to listen to all of the 'problems' he has.
I know I'm hard on the kid, but mean old BM feels the need to do something nice.

Is there anyone here, or do you guys know of anyone close to him who can help this kid out?

·
19,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh brother....

Doc, I would have gladly sent you the funds if he would have taken you up on your offer.
In 'Bandmommys' Book of Good Guys' you my friend are on the first page. :)

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Or perhaps an abundance of people with the surname "Brown". :bluewink:

I found an established music store with a repair shop just 50 miles away from where he lives. See the other thread for information. We "bleeding heart liberal softies" need to stick together Band Mommy. I would repair his sax myself but the shipping to Utah and back would cost more than the cost of repair.

·
19,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am NOT a "Bleeding heart liberal softie"!

I'd pick the kid and horn up, drive them to the shop, and pay for the adjustments if I lived in the area.
I just want to see the kid off from SOTW complaining about having a leaky horn, and in the shed with a horn that actually WORKS.

Shoot, I've driven over an hour one way to have a repair done on my daughters' oboe and didn't complain about having to take time out of my 'busy' schedule.
That's just what a good Mommy does...

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
When my now college age daughter was in 5th grade, I asked her what instrument do you want to learn to play. Hoping she would say flute of course because I collect flutes and both my wife and I play. Her response was trumpet. So dad finds a decent brass lacquered trumpet and because he loves his daughter decides to overhaul it and have anderson plating silver plate the horn...it was beautiful. Horn comes back from Anderson and I get it ready and she says, you know dad I think I want to play the trombone. Process starts again. So the moral of the story: Kids are goofy they don't always know what they want. IMO it is better to let them decide what they want so that they will be happy with their choices and want to learn the skill of playing an instrument. My daughter turned out to be a pretty damn good trombone player.

I too do my share of no charge work to keep some of the local kids playing. If Chunsoo was in my area I would help him out as well.

Matt

·
19,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My youngest was POSITIVE that she wanted to be a violinist when she was in the third grade. I bought her a moderately priced violin and all of the necessary items to get started.
She had a year of private lessons with a very good teacher and was playing at a level above the other kids in her age group that had been taking lessons longer.

In fifth grade she decided that she enjoyed playing her fathers' cornet more than the violin. She was scary good.
Off I go to our favourite music shop with the kid to try a few trumpets. We came home with a Yamaha Allegro.
She's a senior now and still scary good on that trumpet.
I keep the violin around for when she wants to take a stroll down Memory Lane.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
My youngest was POSITIVE that she wanted to be a violinist when she was in the third grade. I bought her a moderately priced violin and all of the necessary items to get started.
She had a year of private lessons with a very good teacher and was playing at a level above the other kids in her age group that had been taking lessons longer.

In fifth grade she decided that she enjoyed playing her fathers' cornet more than the violin. She was scary good.
Off I go to our favourite music shop with the kid to try a few trumpets. We came home with a Yamaha Allegro.
She's a senior now and still scary good on that trumpet.
I keep the violin around for when she wants to take a stroll down Memory Lane.
My kids are more talented than I and don't seem to have to practice much. I practiced my butt off so that the girl sitting next to me wouldn't take my chair in band. I married her and she still sits next to me in band. She's still more talented than I but I work hard.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,576 Posts
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...esult&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQ8gEwAA
That is what Brownsville is near by. I know for a fact that their is a college there. That has a music program. So their is no reason why their isn't a tech in that area.
Nothing shows up on the map, and he lives there...he should know. I was in Denton, TX, home of one of the largest and best music programs in the US. I am not a student, so the closest tech was a 35 minute drive.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Nothing shows up on the map, and he lives there...he should know. I was in Denton, TX, home of one of the largest and best music programs in the US. I am not a student, so the closest tech was a 35 minute drive.
Their is a lady named Ann McMillian, works at UNT. I've taken my horn to her many many times to get repairs and I was never a student at UNT.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,576 Posts
Their is a lady named Ann McMillian, works at UNT. I've taken my horn to her many many times to get repairs and I was never a student at UNT.
Guess I'll never know. Her name doesn't show up for anything music related in the Denton area...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts