Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if there are many kiwis active around here? I live in the Bay of Islands, NZ and I'm looking for sax buddies; in the same country would be good! I've just started playing again after a few years out, learned back in the UK on Soprano Selmer Super 80, recently acquired an alto '61 Martin stencil - at least that's what I'm told it is and I'm running with it. Learned classical, trying to break out. Have a lot of practice to do (scales? I need to play SCALES?! sheeez) and heaps of fun to have, but a bit of a sax network would be great to keep me going.

Sing out if you're from the little island just north of Antarctica; needing a confidence boost in all things sax related.

Thanks!
Catherine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah ha! Great to find somebody, I was beginning to think you needed a US passport to be part of this forum. So, studying eh? Fantastic, I'm a bit envious. Also trying to remember what it was like to study music - a long time ago for me I stopped when I was 16; they politely suggested I should study art instead as my piano playing was never going to be good enough, I wasn't pitch perfect and my comp was "creative" but not very theoretical. Ah well. Fortunately my sax playing is a little stronger than my piano or formal music knowledge, but long neglected sadly. Turning that around now I hope....with a lot of practice ahead of me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Catherine... Brendon from Napier. I guss we are a similar vintage then. I was turned on to the sax back in the (early) 80's when Madness One Step Beyond and Baggy Trousers was up there in the charts. Madness made the sax fun for me I guess. Here we are a few yers later and I find myself a 'at home Dad' which means I can make noise on my Jupiter tenor (a 1990) as much as I like during the day. I stuck it lucky with a good sax, MPC combo turning up from another beginner who grew board with practicing, gotta love teenagers! I have met Gordon Palmer from Auckland in so much as he sells a bit on TradeMe and is a really good woodwind tech. I had a bit of fun trying to find a teacher down here. The best one is too busy so am teaching myself by playing scales and holding long notes, playing with reed hardness etc. My two front teeth are tingling, practiced for an hour and a half today, mostly those deep notes that shake the ranch slider. PS a big fat pair of soxs does quiet it down a bit too! Anyway, gotta go get Andrew (6) from school now so catch ya later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts