Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a very, very, good condition Buffet Dynaction Tenor to compliment my Dynaction Alto. On my alto, the body and neck serial numbers match. However, on the tenor, the neck and body serial numbers almost 100 digits apart. My alto is from very late in the Dyanaction run, #46xx and the Tenor falls into the serial number range that dates it between 1950 - 1952 #22xx neck is #23xx, I figure it for later in that time span as it does not have the forked Eb trill key like earlier Dyanctions have. The 1953 Dynaction tenor that I briefly owned had a matching body and neck.

I know that Buffet had very low production numbers in the early 1950's, anybody else come across mismatched Buffet Dynactions body/necks? (yes, I know that there were only 4700 total dynactions made)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Saxland!

Another part of my mismatched serial numbers is the engraving on the tenor is more simplistic like that of later-run Dyanctions. When I owned the 1953 Dynaction Tenor , it had the same style engravings but was much more detailed/finer like earlier Dynactions and the Pre-Dynaction horns from the 1940's. I'm wondering if my mismatched tenor body/neck were stored at the Buffet factory (for whatever reason), put together and engraved later in the Dynaction run as demand picked up.

This would explain the mismatched body and neck and the later engraving style. This is pure speculation, perhaps the '53 that I owned had upgraded engraving.

Whatever the case may be, it's a great horn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts