Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to get the hatd lime or calcium deposits that build up on rubber mouthpieces? and as long as I'm asking how about putting a shine back on the rubber too
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would recommend dipping the mouthpiece in a solution of diluted vinegar for a short time. As far as putting a shine back on the mouthpiece, I'm not too sure what to recommend...

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've heard that you can use jeweler's rouge and a buffing wheel to shine them up, but not sure of the exact technique...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,016 Posts
Avoid a buffing wheel unless you are planning on having the facing fixed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
I hope you don't drink that stuff!

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
EastCoastGhost said:
I should have thought of coke that **** will desolve anything including the mouthpiece
Could be better than vinegar. I used vinegar once on my Morgan Excalibur; it got off the deposits but discolored the piece. No big deal, but it did have that effect. I didn't leave it in very long either.

maybe I shouldn't have used the 50-year-old Balsamic:?

·
5,076 Posts
This information is excellent. That green is exactly the color that my Excalibur turned. Interesting to know that I can get a pro to remove it!:D

(I mean of course the information in the Howard link.)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
Swampcabbage said:
I've had luck with soaking it in diet coke.
Would diet Pepsi work?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Silver polish on the Excalibur will restore the original finish?
It won't do much for the discoloration, but a little Hagarty's does put some shine back. I do the cola thing, then a child's toothbrush with the polish inside and a soft cloth with the polish outside.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
The polish won't bring the color back but it will shine it up like new. On the outside shell, you can do a little wet sanding with #1500-2000 emery paper to get the surface smoother and possibly find some black down under.

·
5,076 Posts
Thanks. I probably won't do anything to the piece; it still plays great (#1 backup tenor piece, after my RPC; or maybe #.75 after my Link) and I have no plans to try to sell it, so if it's green, hey, it's a fashion statement.

However, I have definitely learned some valuable lessons from this thread; thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts