Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using Cakewalk Home studio on my laptop and it's really good but I'm stuck. Does anyone know if it is possible to listen to the backing track and what I am playing/recording at the same time with headphones? Is it possible? I've borrowed a good condenser mike to record and it would be good to have no sound "bleed". :)

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
you should. I use Sonar 4 and have no problem. A lot depends upon your sound card,(need full duplex, most are ) but as long as you can hear it in the speakers you should be able to hear it in the phones.

Just insert an audio track, select your input, arm that track for recording, and hit record (or R to record and W to rewind) and you're off to the races.

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No joy, can't hear the mic in the speakers at all. It records OK but can't hear it till playback.It's a modern laptop but maybe its not fully duplex. On Msn however I can talk and listen. Is Sonar 4 a later version?

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
It's a slightly different version (Homestudio is a watered down version).

What soundcard is it? On this work pc I have a Soundmax digital (which I have on my home pc as well though its disabled infavor of a 2496 card) and I can hear and record.

I know when using a Griffin iMic USB (another input device I picked up) I cannot hear the input while recording, I just use headphones and hear the sax acoustically, and the backing tracks thru the headphones. that works and there is no bleed.

as long as you can hear the backing tracks and your sax (even acoustically) it should work out fine.

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a Sigma-tel C major audio sound card. I'll just settle for hearing the sax thru the headphones. Thanks Bill.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts