Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the latest Cadence Magazine today. It announces that there will be two more issues before it ceases publication. I have mixed feelings. It's been in business since the 70s, reviews tons of stuff, many interviews, runs info on local performances and has a very comprehensive list of obituaries. Their "columns" are pretty much a boring joke ("Slim and Him" anyone?) But I think it's much more suited to a web distribution given the volume of material they publish.

Any readers here?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
I subscribed for several years, a long ways back, and hadn't thought about them for quite a while -- until you (I think it was you!) recently posted about selling some back issues. (There was something about those thick little tomes that made me keep them for years, like they were important reference materials or something -- and every now and then I would indeed pore through them trying to find something or other that I recalled and needed a citation for...)

They had some great reviewers whose word I trusted, and some just okay ones; the interviews were often very worthy; and you could find CDs that you Just Could Not Find anywhere else.

At some point, the intertubes replaced Cadence for me -- sooner or later I could finally find stuff I was looking for from other sources, often overseas. I felt guilty when I let my subscription lapse, like I was letting down people who were fighting the good fight...

Are they going to still be alive on the web?

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are they going to still be alive on the web?
Their other businesses, yes, the magazine, sounds like no. They said it will continue only if they find a buyer, but I can't imagine there's anyone crazy enough especially given their admitted declining subscriber base.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was a long time subscriber and enjoyed it very much. The interviews were comprehensive and often featured people that didn't get ink anywhere else. My one reservation was that they never were too timely -- reviews of CDs would show up long after their release and after they had been reviewed everywhere else, interviews were from years before, etc. A few years ago they switched to quarterly publication and that's when I didn't renew. I didn't think the quarterly schedule was going to help the timeliness problem and the cost seemed steep.

- Scooby

1 - 4 of 4 Posts