Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I believe the function of it is to stabilize the middle C#. By having the key, there is no no need for a substitute fingering to bring a normally flat note. I am sure there are other functions, but this seems to be the main one.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I believe the function of it is to stabilize the middle C#. By having the key, there is no no need for a substitute fingering to bring a normally flat note. I am sure there are other functions, but this seems to be the main one.
Yes and it works. I owned one and that was it's only function.

·
Registered
836 Posts
It works, but you can't use the alternate fingerings with the octave and G key as I recall. There are other reasons for those fingerings in addition to intonation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
3,373 Posts
Is this similar to the extra vent key for C# on sop saxes, which stays open for C#2 but closes with the octave key for C#3?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
Is this similar to the extra vent key for C# on sop saxes, which stays open for C#2 but closes with the octave key for C#3?
Yes but it uses two holes instead of one therefore requiring an extra key/padcup/pad.The linkage can be a bit 'stodgy' but once set up it's quite reliable.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes but it uses two holes instead of one therefore requiring an extra key/padcup/pad.The linkage can be a bit 'stodgy' but once set up it's quite reliable.

Unless the cork buffer happens to come off during a gig and the whole mechanism can jam open in a way that renders the horn unplayable if you don't know what is going on! (At least on an early one I saw...they may have changed the mechanism later on.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
Unless the cork buffer happens to come off during a gig and the whole mechanism can jam open in a way that renders the horn unplayable if you don't know what is going on! (At least on an early one I saw...they may have changed the mechanism later on.)
Heh! heh! sh-t happens Neville! one of the joys of playin' the "Devils Horn" !!

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
The tonholes are both open only for middle C#. When the octave key is depressed, the back hole is closed. The result is, for me, a perfectly in-tune C# octave--which I like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts